UAE Stands Ready to Join Force to Reopen Strait of Hormuz

Friday, March 27, 2026

The United Arab Emirates has told the U.S. and other Western allies it would participate in a multinational maritime taskforce to reopen the Strait of Hormuz, the Financial Times reported on Friday, citing people familiar with the matter.

The UAE is trying to push dozens of countries to create a “Hormuz Security Force” to defend the strait from Iranian attacks and escort shipping, the report added.

The UAE has faced more Iranian attacks than any other country in the region, including Israel.

Several U.S. allies have said they have no immediate plans to send ships to unblock the Strait of Hormuz, rebuffing a Trump request for military support to keep the vital waterway open.

France said on Thursday it had held talks with around 35 countries seeking partners and ‌proposals for a mission to reopen the strait, but only once the U.S.-Israeli war on Iran ends.

Iran has effectively blocked the Strait of Hormuz, which carries about 20% of global oil and liquefied natural gas, spiking energy prices and fuelling global inflation fears.

The UAE is also working on a U.N. Security Council resolution with Bahrain to provide any future taskforce with a mandate, but Russia and China could oppose the move, the report added.

U.N. Security Council members have begun negotiating resolutions to protect commercial shipping in and around the Strait of Hormuz, including a Bahraini draft that would authorise the use of "all necessary means", Reuters reported earlier this week.

Last week, a senior Emirati official said UAE may join a U.S.-led effort to protect shipping in the Strait of Hormuz after Iran all but shut the waterway to ships.

The waterway is vital to the economy of the UAE, a major oil exporter and trade hub. Iran has repeatedly attacked an Emirati port located outside the Gulf that is used to load oil exports.

Reuters could not immediately verify the report.


(Reuters - Reporting by Anusha Shah in Bengaluru; Editing by Sonali Paul and Michael Perry)

Categories: Offshore Government Update Middle East Asia Oil and Gas War Strait of Hormuz

Related Stories

Saipem Cuts Earnings Outlook as Middle East Costs Rise

Hormuz Crossings Decline as US Renews Iran Blockade

Oil Rises 2% as Middle East Hostilities Escalate

Hormuz Standoff Risks Chronic Instability for Gulf Oil Flows

Oil Climbs on US-Iran Deal Uncertainty

Hormuz Reopening Risks Turning Oil Shortage Into Glut

ASCO Sets Up Shop in Qatar to Drive Middle East Expansion

Oil Edges Higher as Uncertainty Clouds US-Iran Truce

Post-War Gulf Faces Push for Alternative Export Routes

Oil Slumps as US-Iran Reach Initial Peace Deal to Reopen Strait of Hormuz

Current News

TenneT Completes Drilling, Installation of Protective Conduits for Wind Farms

ConocoPhillips, CNOOC Put Penglai Field off China Into Full Operation

Mermaid Maritime Expands Into US Offshore Market

ONGC Nears Venezuela Operatorship Deals, Regains Russia’s Sakhalin-1 Stake

Fugro Secures India Deepwater Drilling ROV Contract

Vantris Energy Secures Petronas’ Offshore Drilling Work Orders

ADNOC, SLB Roll Out AI Platform Across More Than 120 Drilling Rigs

Oil Rises as Uncertainty Clouds US-Iran Peace Talks

India’s ONGC to Allocate Half of New Oil Storage to Strategic Reserves

Subsea7 Lands ‘Sizeable’ Contract for Work Offshore Brunei

Subscribe for AOG Digital E‑News

AOG Digital E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

https://accounts.newwavemedia.com