IEA: Middle East Conflict Reshaping Medium-Term Gas Outlook

Thursday, May 7, 2026

The Iran war has already led to a loss of about 120 billion cubic metres of global liquefied natural gas supply over the 2026 to 2030 period, Gergely Molnar, an analyst from the International Energy Agency, said on Thursday.

Speaking at the Budapest LNG Summit, Molnar said the conflict was reshaping the medium-term gas outlook, with tighter market conditions likely to persist longer than previously expected.

He said the crisis had cut LNG supply by around 15%, but a strong increase in new liquefaction capacity was expected to offset lost volumes from Qatar and the United Arab Emirates.

Iranian attacks have knocked out 17% of Qatar's LNG export capacity, threatening supplies to Europe and Asia ahead of the summer season typically used to fill up storage ahead of the winter.

As European Union storage levels are some 30% below their five-year average, filling them up to the 90%-full target will require an additional 10 bcm of gas, according to the IEA's Molnar.



(Reuters - Reporting by Krisztina Than and Marek Strzelecki, Editing by Louise Heavens)

Categories: Middle East Offshore Industry News Activity Europe Asia North America Africa Oil and Gas

Related Stories

ONGC Nears Venezuela Operatorship Deals, Regains Russia’s Sakhalin-1 Stake

Saipem Cuts Earnings Outlook as Middle East Costs Rise

Oil Rises 2% as Middle East Hostilities Escalate

Oil Jumps 3% on Renewed US-Iran Conflict

Oil Climbs on US-Iran Deal Uncertainty

Hormuz Reopening Risks Turning Oil Shortage Into Glut

Oil Holds Steady After US, Iran Agree to Cease Attacks

Oman Opens Alternative Hormuz Lanes as Shipping Recovery Continues

Post-War Gulf Faces Push for Alternative Export Routes

IEA Expects Gradual Hormuz Recovery, Oversupplied Market in 2027

Current News

ConocoPhillips, CNOOC Put Penglai Field off China Into Full Operation

Mermaid Maritime Expands Into US Offshore Market

ONGC Nears Venezuela Operatorship Deals, Regains Russia’s Sakhalin-1 Stake

Fugro Secures India Deepwater Drilling ROV Contract

Vantris Energy Secures Petronas’ Offshore Drilling Work Orders

ADNOC, SLB Roll Out AI Platform Across More Than 120 Drilling Rigs

Oil Rises as Uncertainty Clouds US-Iran Peace Talks

India’s ONGC to Allocate Half of New Oil Storage to Strategic Reserves

Subsea7 Lands ‘Sizeable’ Contract for Work Offshore Brunei

FPSO for Azule Energy’s Angola Offshore Field Starts Taking Shape in China

Subscribe for AOG Digital E‑News

AOG Digital E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

https://accounts.newwavemedia.com