Keppel, Seatrium in $53M Arbitration Case Over Brazil Corruption Scheme

Thursday, August 28, 2025

Singapore's Keppel has initiated arbitration proceedings against local shipbuilder Seatrium for a S$68.4 million ($53.33 million) claim related to a corruption crackdown in Brazil, the companies said on Tuesday.

In 2023, Seatrium had made provisions worth S$82.4 million to pay Keppel against claims related to the crackdown, named Operation Car Wash.

Seatrium noted the obligation to pay Keppel expired in February of this year and there were no binding and legally enforceable agreements signed with the Brazilian authorities before that.

Earlier this year, Seatrium had said it will pay 728.9 million Brazilian real ($134.45 million) to the authorities in the South American country, as part of leniency agreements.

Keppel on Tuesday said S$68.4 million was due from Seatrium upon the latter's signing of its final agreement.

Seatrium said it is reviewing the claims and allegations made in the arbitration proceeding and will defend the claim vigorously.

Keppel's offshore and marine segment merged with Sembcorp Marine in 2023 to create Seatrium. Authorities in Brazil had searched Sembcorp's shipyard as part of a graft investigation.

The investigations were part of Brazil's Operation Car Wash, launched to crack down on corruption. The operation began in 2014, to expose sprawling corruption schemes across the region and send dozens of Latin American political and business leaders to jail, including several former presidents.

(Reuters)

Categories: Shipbuilding Industry News Activity South America Asia Oil and Gas

Related Stories

Mermaid Maritime Expands Into US Offshore Market

Fugro Secures India Deepwater Drilling ROV Contract

Vantris Energy Secures Petronas’ Offshore Drilling Work Orders

Saipem Cuts Earnings Outlook as Middle East Costs Rise

ABL Gets Papua New Guinea FSO Job

Velesto Frees Up Drilling Rig After Early Contract Termination off Indonesia

Jadestone Energy Lifts Malaysia Production with Second Online Well

Searah Malaysia Starts Upstream Oil and Gas Operations

Hormuz Crossings Decline as US Renews Iran Blockade

Sunda Energy Applies for Exploration Permit Offshore New Zealand

Current News

ConocoPhillips, CNOOC Put Penglai Field off China Into Full Operation

Mermaid Maritime Expands Into US Offshore Market

ONGC Nears Venezuela Operatorship Deals, Regains Russia’s Sakhalin-1 Stake

Fugro Secures India Deepwater Drilling ROV Contract

Vantris Energy Secures Petronas’ Offshore Drilling Work Orders

ADNOC, SLB Roll Out AI Platform Across More Than 120 Drilling Rigs

Oil Rises as Uncertainty Clouds US-Iran Peace Talks

India’s ONGC to Allocate Half of New Oil Storage to Strategic Reserves

Subsea7 Lands ‘Sizeable’ Contract for Work Offshore Brunei

FPSO for Azule Energy’s Angola Offshore Field Starts Taking Shape in China

Subscribe for AOG Digital E‑News

AOG Digital E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

https://accounts.newwavemedia.com