Worker Found Dead at Bosnia Oil Refinery Hit by Blast

Posted by Michelle Howard
Wednesday, October 10, 2018

The powerful blast that rocked Bosnia's Brod oil refinery late on Tuesday has left one worker dead, officials said as they raised the figure for the number injured to nine.

Firefighters put down the blaze at the plant's oil and gas processing unit shortly after midnight and rescuers later discovered one body inside the facility, said Brod's mayor, Ilija Jovicic on Wednesday. Of the nine people injured, four were in seriously condition.

Previous reports said eight people were injured in the blast.

Jovicic said the refinery has continued to operate since the explosion, adding that an investigation which was still underway should establish the cause of the explosion.

The Brod refinery, which processes 1.2 million tonnes of crude a year, is majority owned by Russia's Neftegazinkor, a unit of state-owned oil company Zarubezhneft.

Auditors have previously warned that it may face liquidity problems after it piled up losses and its liabilities exceeded assets. The company, however, has dismissed those claims.

Residents of nearby Slavonski Brod, just across the border in Croatia, have complained about rising pollution levels from the refinery for years and Bosnian and Croatian authorities have been working to combat this issue.

Air quality measures showed no major spike in pollution levels on Wednesday, Jovicic said.

Officials from Croatia and Russia, including the head of Zarubezhneft, met on Wednesday in Slavonski Brod to talk about providing gas from Croatia to the Brod refinery, in an effort to reduce air pollution.

"I believe that by the end of 2019 we could have the Brod refinery operating on gas supply from Croatia. At the moment we're working on defining commercial terms of the arrangement," Croatia's Energy Minister Tomislav Coric said after the meeting.

Reporting by Gordana Katana in Banja Luka; Maja Zuvela in Sarajevo and Igor Ilic in Zagreb

Categories: Casualties Shale Oil & Gas

Related Stories

MISC, PTSC Extend Ruby II FPSO Operations Offshore Vietnam

Petronas Takes Operatorship of Oman’s Offshore Block 18

Mubadala Hires SLB for Deepwater Drilling Services Offshore Indonesia

Vantage Drilling’s Ultra-Deepwater Drillship Heads to India Under $260M Contract

Japan’s JERA Agrees Long-Term LNG Supply from Middle East

QatarEnergy, Petronas Ink 20-Year LNG Supply Agreement

Conrad, Empyrean Agree Settlement Framework Over Duyung PSC Interests

JERA Lifts First LNG Cargo From Barossa Gas Project in Australia

Chevron in Final Talks with Eneos, Glencore on Singapore Assets Sale

Seadrill Firms Up Offshore Drilling Workload with Multi-Region Contract Awards

Current News

MISC Secures Long-Term Charter for Papua New Guinea's First FSO

Dolphin Drilling, Vantris Ink Marketing Deal for Blackford Dolphin Semi-Sub

Saipem Agrees $272M Deal to Acquire Deep Value Driller Drillship

DUG Hooks Multi-Client Seismic Reprocessing Survey off Malaysia

MISC, PTSC Extend Ruby II FPSO Operations Offshore Vietnam

Petronas Takes Operatorship of Oman’s Offshore Block 18

Mubadala Hires SLB for Deepwater Drilling Services Offshore Indonesia

Malaysia Offers Nine Exploration Blocks in 2026 Bid Round

Seatrium Unit Launches Arbitration Against Petrobras over FPSO Contract

Transocean-Valaris Tie-Up to Create $17B Offshore Drilling Major with 73 Rigs

Subscribe for AOG Digital E‑News

AOG Digital E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

https://accounts.newwavemedia.com