Woodside Exits Myanmar, Flags $138M Profit Hit

Sameer Manekar and Riya Sharma
Thursday, January 27, 2022

Woodside Petroleum Ltd joined on Thursday multinational oil majors Chevron Corp and TotalEnergies in their plans to exit Myanmar, nearly a year after a military coup plunged the Southeast Asian nation into turmoil.

Myanmar has faced unrest since the army overthrew the elected government in February 2021 and detained its leader Aung San Suu Kyi. The junta has been accused of using brutal force to put down protests.

The Australian gas producer will now begin the formal procedure to exit exploration assets it holds with state-owned Myanma Oil and Gas Enterprise and other entities including China National Petroleum Corp and Total.

"Given the situation in Myanmar we can no longer contemplate Woodside's participation in the development of the A-6 gas resources, nor other future activities in-country," Woodside Chief Executive Officer Meg O'Neill said on Thursday.

The company warned of a $138 million hit to its fiscal 2021 net profit after tax due to non-cash expenses associated with the withdrawal.

Woodside had said last February it would trim its presence in Myanmar following the coup https://www.reuters.com/world/china/myanmar-police-launch-most-extensive-crackdown-one-woman-shot-wounded-2021-02-27, and its complete exit comes after TotalEnergies and Chevron, partners in a major gas project in Myanmar, withdrew from the country last week, citing the worsening humanitarian situation.

The United States also issued a business advisory for Myanmar on Wednesday.

Shareholder-activist group Australasian Centre for Corporate Responsibility (ACCR) welcomed Woodside's decision, saying it would "deal a blow to the military's ability to buy weapons and fund future atrocities."

The ACCR said shareholders of copper-gold producer Pan Aust and oil and gas explorer Tap Oil Ltd "should be concerned" that the companies hold exploration licenses in Myanmar amid the unrest and human rights violations.

Pan Aust and Tap Oil did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

(Reporting by Sameer Manekar and Riya Sharma in Bengaluru; Editing by Shailesh Kuber and Sherry Jacob-Phillips)


Categories: Energy Industry News Activity Production Asia

Related Stories

TenneT Completes Drilling, Installation of Protective Conduits for Wind Farms

Vantris Energy Secures Petronas’ Offshore Drilling Work Orders

BP Moves Indonesia CCUS Project Into Offshore Installation Phase

ABL Gets Papua New Guinea FSO Job

Energean Lifts Karish Fields FPSO Oil Processing Capacity

Oil Rises on Dual Shipping Threat in Hormuz and Red Sea

ADNOC Approves $6.2B Offshore Umm Shaif Gas Project

Jadestone Energy Lifts Malaysia Production with Second Online Well

Searah Malaysia Starts Upstream Oil and Gas Operations

Hormuz Crossings Decline as US Renews Iran Blockade

Current News

TenneT Completes Drilling, Installation of Protective Conduits for Wind Farms

ConocoPhillips, CNOOC Put Penglai Field off China Into Full Operation

Mermaid Maritime Expands Into US Offshore Market

ONGC Nears Venezuela Operatorship Deals, Regains Russia’s Sakhalin-1 Stake

Fugro Secures India Deepwater Drilling ROV Contract

Vantris Energy Secures Petronas’ Offshore Drilling Work Orders

ADNOC, SLB Roll Out AI Platform Across More Than 120 Drilling Rigs

Oil Rises as Uncertainty Clouds US-Iran Peace Talks

India’s ONGC to Allocate Half of New Oil Storage to Strategic Reserves

Subsea7 Lands ‘Sizeable’ Contract for Work Offshore Brunei

Subscribe for AOG Digital E‑News

AOG Digital E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

https://accounts.newwavemedia.com