Search Underway for 77 Offshore Workers Missing from Barge Sunk by Cyclone

Reuters
Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Indian navy ships and aircraft scoured waters off the financial capital Mumbai on Wednesday for 77 workers missing from a barge that sank after a powerful cyclone barrelled into the country's west coast this week.

Driving waves of up to 25 feet on the high seas, cyclone Tauktae rammed into the western states of Maharashtra and Gujarat over the past two days, killing at least 29 people and leaving a trail of destruction, authorities said.

The storm smashed into the Bombay High oilfield near Mumbai, where India's biggest offshore oil rigs are located, and sank the barge that had 261 personnel on board.

The navy said 184 people had been rescued from the barge "P305", which was engaged in contract work awarded by Oil and Natural Gas Corp, India's top exploration company.

Three ships and aircraft are continuing to look for the remaining personnel, it added.



Prime Minister Narendra Modi is scheduled to conduct an aerial survey later in the day of the storm-hit areas in his home state Gujarat, where the cyclone made landfall on Monday packing gusts of up to 210 kph (130 mph), the state government said.

The storm has piled pressure on Indian authorities as they grapple with a massive rise in coronavirus infections and deaths as well as a shortage of beds and oxygen in hospitals.

In Gujarat, among the hardest hit states by the second wave of the virus, the cyclone has ripped out power pylons, damaged some 16,500 homes and blocked over 600 roads, authorities said.

The state's farm sector is also likely to have taken a hit, including the major mango growing belt of Saurashtra.

Officials said work to restore electricity supply and clear roads was ongoing, but some parts were still cut off.

"Mobile phone networks are still down in many areas, and I don't think they will be restored by today," Aayush Oak, the top official in Gujarat's Amreli district, told Reuters. 

(Reporting by Nigam Prusty in NEW DELHI and Sumit Khanna in AHMEDABAD; Writing by Devjyot Ghoshal; Editing by Sanjeev Miglani and Himani Sarkar)


Categories: Offshore Industry News Activity Safety and Security Salvage

Related Stories

Oil Prices Rise as Iran Talks Stall and Inventories Shrink

Global Oil Supply to Fall Short of Demand as Iran War Goes On, IEA Says

Iraq, Pakistan Secure Oil Shipments via Hormuz with Iran Agreements

FOS Picks Incat Crowther to Design Fast CTV Fleet for Shell’s Brunei Ops

Brent Near $114 as Middle East Conflict Continues

UK Declines to Support US Hormuz Blockade, PM Starmer Says

Middle East Producers Gear Up for Hormuz Export Restart

Oil Rises as Fragile Middle East Ceasefire Sustains Supply Risks

Fire at ONGC's Offshore Platform Injures 10, Operations Normalized

Oil Shoots Over $110 as Trump's Iran Deadline Looms

Current News

Wood Secures Subsea Design Scope on QatarEnergy’s Bul Hanine Redevelopment

Oil Prices Rise as Iran Talks Stall and Inventories Shrink

Indonesia Puts 13 Oil And Gas Blocks on Bidding Round Offer

BP Adds Three Exploration Blocks off Indonesia

Indonesia Signs Eight Oil and Gas Contracts

Inpex Inks Abadi LNG Gas Supply Deal With Indonesian State Firms

Energean Cuts 2026 Output Forecast After Israel Shutdown

Wison Starts Topsides Fabrication for Türkiye’s Sakarya Deepwater FPU

Oil Prices Ease as US Holds Off Renewed Strikes Against Iran

Velesto Secures Malaysia Drilling Deal with Hibiscus

Subscribe for AOG Digital E‑News

AOG Digital E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

https://accounts.newwavemedia.com