Woodside's Sales Slump as Coronavirus Cripples Demand

Aaron Sheldrick
Thursday, April 16, 2020

Australia's Woodside Petroleum Ltd said on Thursday that its sales slumped more than 20% in the first quarter, as the coronavirus pandemic and draconian measures to curb the outbreak crippled fuel demand globally.

Oil and gas producers have been among the worst hit as the outbreak has forced governments to impose lockdowns and social-distancing rules, confining people to their homes, upending businesses and ravaging global economic growth.

Crude prices on both sides of the Atlantic recently crashed to levels unseen in about 18 years as travel demand dwindled in a market flush with supplies. Woodside has said it would cut costs and investment to weather the crisis, as well as cautioned its key Sangomar oil project may see spending cuts.

"We have battened down the hatches and we will come out of this strong," Woodside Chief Financial Officer Sherry Duhe told Reuters in a phone interview. "But it certainly has been challenging and unprecedented."

The company's sales revenue for the quarter ended March 31 fell to $1.08 billion, from $1.36 billion a year earlier.

Its average sales prices for products was $45 per barrel of oil equivalent, more than $10 weaker than a year ago.

Production came in at 24.2 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe), up from 21.7 million boe a year earlier, but slightly below a UBS estimate of 24.5 million boe.

Woodside's projects are operating normally and the company has "fully transitioned into the new abnormal of our coronavirus operating ratio in our assets and offices," Duhe said.

The company has, however, shelved decisions on new projects. Last month, it slashed its planned spending for fiscal 2020 by about $2 billion and deferred go-ahead decisions on key gas projects to stave off the impact from the pandemic.

SANGOMAR

While Woodside has pushed ahead with work on its major growth project, the $4.2 billion Sangomar development off Senegal, it has been facing issues with the supply of well-head parts due to the virus.

Well-head parts for Sangomar are manufactured in northern Italy, one of the regions worst hit by the coronavirus.

"I'm not in a position to comment on northern Italy specifically, other than to re-emphasize we are working with all our contractors," Duhe said, adding the project may see spending cuts this year due to disruptions.

"We are in execution and we are not stopping but it is slowing down," Duhe said.

Woodside shares were down about 1% by around 0500 GMT.

Australia's biggest gas producer has halved its forecast spending for this year to $2.4 billion.

(Reporting by Aaron Sheldrick; Additional reporting by Shreya Mariam Job in Bengaluru; Editing by Tom Hogue and Himani Sarkar)

Categories: Finance Energy Industry News Activity FPSO Production Australia/NZ Floation Production

Related Stories

Velesto Secures Malaysia Drilling Deal with Hibiscus

Longitude to Integrate SynergenOG Following ABL Group Acquisition

Iraq, Pakistan Secure Oil Shipments via Hormuz with Iran Agreements

Norway O&G Revenue Forecast Jumps 30% for '26

Oil Prices Edge Higher Amid Uncertainty Over Iran Deal

Eni Advances Giant Indonesia Gas Discovery after ‘Exceptional’ Well Test

Technology as Enabler of Energy Security in Offshore Asia

Strike Threat Grows at Ichthys LNG after Workers Reject Deal

MidEast Energy Output Recovery to Take Two Years, IEA Says

Borr Drilling Expects Higher Activity as Rigs Return to Work

Current News

Velesto Secures Malaysia Drilling Deal with Hibiscus

Yinson Production, PTSC Raise Over $130M for Vietnam’s Block B FSO

Oil Climbs Above $110 After Gulf Drone Attacks Raise Supply Fears

Global Businesses Face Mounting $25 Billion Fallout From Iran War

ScioSense Launches UFC23 Ultrasonic Flow Converter for High-Precision, Ultra-Low-Power Smart Metering

Inpex Expands Australia Gas Portfolio with Browse Minority Stake Deal

UAE Speeds Up Pipeline Project to Help Bypass Hormuz

PV Drilling Secures Jack-Up Rig Deal from Zarubezhneft off Vietnam

Longitude to Integrate SynergenOG Following ABL Group Acquisition

Petronas Signs 20-year Charter Deal with MISC for Five LNG Carrier Newbuilds

Subscribe for AOG Digital E‑News

AOG Digital E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

https://accounts.newwavemedia.com