LogIn LogOut

Mubadala Energy Makes Second Major Gas Discovery in Indonesia

May 13, 2024

West Capella drillship (Credit: Seadrill)
West Capella drillship (Credit: Seadrill)

Mubadala Energy has made second consecutive ‘significant’ gas discovery in South Andaman offshore Indonesia at the Tangkulo-1 exploration well, using Seadrill’s West Capella drillship.

The Tangkulo-1 exploration well was drilled about 65 kilometres offshore North Sumatra in Indonesia.

With potential for over 2 TCF of gas-in-place, this positions the Andaman area as one of the world’s most important gas plays, according to Mubadala.

Together with the significant discovery at Layaran-1 well, made in December 2023, the discovery adds material contingent volume and provides a platform for Mubadala Energy’s continued organic growth in the region through additional exploration and appraisal activities, the company said.



Mubadala is the operator of the South Andaman license, with an 80% working interest, while Harbour Energy holds the remaining 20%.

The discovery was made with Seadrill’s West Capella drillship, which will now move to appraise the Layaran discovery, marking the final well of this exploration and appraisal campaign, Harbour Energy informed.

“This development is aligned with our gas-biased strategy as a key bridge fuel in the energy transition, and with an 80% working interest in South Andaman, we proudly stand as the largest net acreage holder in the region,” Mubadala said.

The West Capella is the 6th generation ultra-deepwater dual activity drillship with operational history in Southeast Asia and West Africa. Built by Samsung Heavy Industries in 2008, it has been designed to operate at 10,000 ft water depths, and the maximum drilling depth 37,500 ft.

Current News

Yinson Production Refinances FPSO Anna Nery Through $1B Bond Placement

Yinson Production Refinances FPSO Anna Nery Through $1B Bond Placement

ABL Helps Shelter 45 ONGC Rigs Ahead of Storm

ABL Helps Shelter 45 ONGC Rigs Ahead of Storm

Hess Shareholders Sign Off On $53 Billion Sale to Chevron

Hess Shareholders Sign Off On $53 Billion Sale to Chevron

Oil and Gas Firm Santos Taps Japan's Hokkaido Gas for LNG Supply

Oil and Gas Firm Santos Taps Japan's Hokkaido Gas for LNG Supply

Valeura Starts New Drilling Campaign at Nong Yao Offshore Thailand

Valeura Starts New Drilling Campaign at Nong Yao Offshore Thailand

China’s CNOOC Acquires Five Offshore Blocks in Mozambique

China’s CNOOC Acquires Five Offshore Blocks in Mozambique

Russia Planning New Sea Terminal for LPG Exports to Asia

Russia Planning New Sea Terminal for LPG Exports to Asia

Subscribe for AOG Digital E‑News

AOG Digital E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

https://accounts.newwavemedia.com