LogIn LogOut

Floating Wind: Ocean Winds, Aker Offshore Wind JV Secures Another EBL in South Korea

March 3, 2022

Credit: Aker Offshore Wind
Credit: Aker Offshore Wind

Korea Floating Wind ("KF Wind"), a joint venture between Ocean Winds and Aker Offshore Wind, has received its second Electric Business License (EBL) from South Korea's government for a capacity of 450 MW, 

"Obtaining the second EBL represents another key step towards realizing the world’s first large-scale commercial floating wind project," KF Wind said.

The EBL is a mandatory requirement to generate and supply electricity in South Korea and follows the 870 MW EBL that KF Wind was granted at the end of January 2022.

Overall, KF Wind’s floating wind project now holds a 1.32 GW EBL capacity, covering the 1.2 GW net capacity target (based on grid limits), and able to power the equivalent of over 1.3 million households.

“This second EBL secures us continued exclusive development rights in the East Blue Power area, which KF Wind is developing in collaboration with our partner Kumyang Green Power, an Ulsan-based electrical engineering company and renewable energy developer. Kumyang plays an important role in supporting KF Wind’s relationship with the local administrations and the local communities, and in the engagement with the supply chain,” said Guzman Figar, Project Director of KF Wind.  

Ocean Winds holds 66.7 percent ins KF Wind, and Aker Offshore Wind holds the remaining 33.3 percent.

Grzegorz Gorski, Chief Operating Officer of Ocean Winds said: "Ocean Winds celebrates this second success, and we are very proud of the efforts of our South Korean team in building relationships of trust with our stakeholders. We are coming together to realize this key floating offshore wind project for South Korea which will contribute toward the national energy transition to decarbonize, as well as the economic development of the region of Ulsan. KF Wind could contribute up to 77 percent of content manufactured in Korea, of which around 63 percent would be fabricated in the Ulsan area, resulting in the creation of thousands of jobs and the reindustrialization of the region."

Philippe Kavafyan, Chief Executive Officer of Aker Offshore Wind said:"“Following the first EBL granted earlier this year, I am very pleased to see KF Wind awarded the second EBL. This confirms a strong vote of confidence from the South Korean government and sustains the pace for South Korea to be the leading market for GW-scale, floating offshore wind power generation. Together with our partners, we are on track to build in Ulsan the world’s first industrial-scale floating offshore wind farms by 2028."

KF Wind said it has already started most of the field studies and is continuing its engagement with key local users of the ocean as required to secure the remaining permits. The permits are expected to be approved during 2023, with the objective of reaching financial close in 2024.



Current News

Philippines Must Find Way to Exploit South China Sea Resources, says President Marcos

Philippines Must Find Way to Exploit South China Sea Resources, says President Marcos

MMA Offshore Sells Batam Shipyard

MMA Offshore Sells Batam Shipyard

Valeura Energy Books Tanker for Gulf of Thailand Oil Field

Valeura Energy Books Tanker for Gulf of Thailand Oil Field

Australia Court Ruling on Santos Raises Risks for Offshore Gas Projects

Australia Court Ruling on Santos Raises Risks for Offshore Gas Projects

Keel Laying Ceremony Held for Two Shanghai Electric SOVs

Keel Laying Ceremony Held for Two Shanghai Electric SOVs

Malaysia's Petronas Posts Q3 Profit, Warns of Continuing Market Volatility

Malaysia's Petronas Posts Q3 Profit, Warns of Continuing Market Volatility

Inmarsat to Roll Out IoT Solution to More than 60 Zamil Offshore Vessels

Inmarsat to Roll Out IoT Solution to More than 60 Zamil Offshore Vessels
photo

Subscribe for AOG Digital E‑News

AOG Digital E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

https://accounts.newwavemedia.com