Lebanon Extends Offshore Exploration Licensing Round Deadline Again

Timour Azhari
Friday, December 9, 2022

Lebanon has again extended the deadline for applications to explore for hydrocarbons in eight offshore blocks, the energy ministry said on Friday.

The deadline had already been extended several times, most recently from June until Dec. 15. 

Lebanon’s energy ministry said that caretaker minister Walid Fayyad had pushed it back again to June 30, 2023, without detailing why.

Lebanon formally delineated its maritime border with Israel in October after years of U.S.-mediated talks. It had hoped this would pave the way for an influx of bids for oil and gas exploration in its waters.

The previous six-month extension was taken "based on the recommendation of the Lebanese Petroleum Administration" and would "create an acceptable level of competition among international oil and gas companies," the energy ministry said at the time.

But a source with knowledge of the process said the first extension was granted because there had been no applications.



Lebanese officials, bankers, and the powerful Iran-backed armed group Hezbollah say oil and gas exploration will pull the country of a three-year economic collapse that has pushed eight out of ten residents into poverty.

But those hopes have been slow to materialize.

Lebanon's first licensing round in 2017 saw a consortium of France's Total, Italy's Eni, and Russia's Novatek win bids to explore two offshore blocs known as Blocs 4 and 9.

They did not find a commercially viable amount of hydrocarbons in Bloc 4, off the coast of Beirut. Planned drilling in the southern Bloc 9 was postponed.

Novatek pulled out of the consortium in September amid concerns about sanctions on Russia over its invasion of Ukraine, a source with close knowledge of the withdrawal told Reuters.


 (Reuters - Reporting by Timour Azhari; Writing by Lina Najem and Maya GebeilyEditing by Mark Potter)

Categories: Middle East Drilling Activity Regulations Mediterranean Sea

Related Stories

Dolphin Drilling, Vantris Ink Marketing Deal for Blackford Dolphin Semi-Sub

Saipem Agrees $272M Deal to Acquire Deep Value Driller Drillship

Japan's Mitsui in Advanced Talks for Stake in Qatar’s North Field LNG Project

Eni Enlists Shearwater for 3D Seismic Survey in Timor Sea

Petronas Plans Ramp-Up in Exploration, Production Over Three Years

Turkish Petroleum, Chevron Discuss Joint Oil and Gas Exploration

Murphy Oil Appraisal Well Boosts Resource Outlook at Field off Vietnam

Yinson Production Cuts First Steel for Vietnam-Bound FSO

Velesto Agrees $63M Jack-Up Drilling Rig Sale with Indonesian Firm

ADES Nets $63M Contract for Compact Driller Jack-Up off Brunei

Current News

Dolphin Drilling, Vantris Ink Marketing Deal for Blackford Dolphin Semi-Sub

Saipem Agrees $272M Deal to Acquire Deep Value Driller Drillship

DUG Hooks Multi-Client Seismic Reprocessing Survey off Malaysia

MISC, PTSC Extend Ruby II FPSO Operations Offshore Vietnam

Petronas Takes Operatorship of Oman’s Offshore Block 18

Mubadala Hires SLB for Deepwater Drilling Services Offshore Indonesia

Malaysia Offers Nine Exploration Blocks in 2026 Bid Round

Seatrium Unit Launches Arbitration Against Petrobras over FPSO Contract

Transocean-Valaris Tie-Up to Create $17B Offshore Drilling Major with 73 Rigs

Malaysia Oil and Gas Projects Advance with Petronas' PSC and Farm-Out Deals

Subscribe for AOG Digital E‑News

AOG Digital E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

https://accounts.newwavemedia.com