Israeli Ministry Won't Allow Oil Tankers to Enter Red Sea Resort, Potentially Blocking UAE Pipeline Deal

Ari Rabinovitch
Friday, December 17, 2021

Israel's Environmental Protection Ministry said on Thursday that it would not allow oil tankers to enter its Red Sea resort of Eilat as planned under a deal with partners from the United Arab Emirates to transport crude from the Gulf to Europe via Israel.

The announcement could lead to the cancellation of the deal, one of the biggest to emerge from the normalization of ties between Israel and the UAE last year. Environmentalists had petitioned Israel's Supreme Court to block the agreement.

Signed between an Israeli state-owned company and a venture with Emirati and Israeli owners, the deal allows for oil unloaded from tankers in the Red Sea port of Eilat to be moved across Israel in an existing pipeline to the Mediterranean coast.

Responding on Thursday to the Supreme Court petition, Prime Minister Naftali Bennett's government said it would not intervene and would instead allow the Environmental Protection Ministry to play its regulatory role limiting activities that pose ecological risks.

"We blocked the entry of dozens of oil tankers into the Gulf of Eilat," Environmental Protection Minister Tamar Zandberg said in a statement, adding that Israel "will not become a bridge of pollution in an era of climate crisis".

Israel's energy minister had previously come out against the deal, citing ecological risks to Eilat's fragile coral reefs.

The Israeli state-owned company involved in the deal, Europe Asia Pipeline Company (EAPC), said the deal has "significant geopolitical and economic advantages for Israel and its citizens."

EAPC said it was committed to protecting the environment and would continue its dialogue with the Environmental Protection Ministry over its pipeline activities.

The other company involved in the deal, MED-RED Land Bridge, did not immediately provide a comment. 

(Reporting by Ari Rabinovitch; Writing by Rami Ayyub; Editing by Diane Craft and Howard Goller)

Categories: Coastal/Inland Pipelines Oil Tankers

Related Stories

EnQuest Secures Extension for Vietnam's Offshore Block

Japan's Mitsui in Advanced Talks for Stake in Qatar’s North Field LNG Project

Eni Enlists Shearwater for 3D Seismic Survey in Timor Sea

Conrad, Empyrean Agree Settlement Framework Over Duyung PSC Interests

MODEC, Eld Energy Partnership Targets Low-Carbon FPSO Power

Seadrill Firms Up Offshore Drilling Workload with Multi-Region Contract Awards

Turkish Petroleum, Chevron Discuss Joint Oil and Gas Exploration

ADNOC Gas Signs $3B LNG Supply Deal with India’s HPCL

Samos Energy Buys Suksan Salamander FSO from Altera Infrastructure

Woodside to Supply LNG to JERA During Japan's Winter Peak

Current News

DUG Hooks Multi-Client Seismic Reprocessing Survey off Malaysia

MISC, PTSC Extend Ruby II FPSO Operations Offshore Vietnam

Petronas Takes Operatorship of Oman’s Offshore Block 18

Mubadala Hires SLB for Deepwater Drilling Services Offshore Indonesia

Malaysia Offers Nine Exploration Blocks in 2026 Bid Round

Seatrium Unit Launches Arbitration Against Petrobras over FPSO Contract

Transocean-Valaris Tie-Up to Create $17B Offshore Drilling Major with 73 Rigs

Malaysia Oil and Gas Projects Advance with Petronas' PSC and Farm-Out Deals

Vantage Drilling’s Ultra-Deepwater Drillship Heads to India Under $260M Contract

EnQuest Secures Extension for Vietnam's Offshore Block

Subscribe for AOG Digital E‑News

AOG Digital E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

https://accounts.newwavemedia.com