New Woodside Boss Faces Existential Threats, Outgoing CEO Coleman Says

Sonali Paul
Friday, April 16, 2021

Woodside Petroleum's outgoing boss said on Friday his replacement will face two company-defining challenges: replacing its aging assets and managing the transition to cleaner energy.

Australia's top independent gas producer is betting its future on the $11 billion Scarborough gas project, with no other big growth options to make up for its mainstay assets drying up off Western Australia, its chairman and outgoing chief executive said on Friday.

"The challenges are pretty obvious: one is the company is faced with a period of recapitalizing its business," Chief Executive Peter Coleman said at his final media conference.

"The second one is ... around what role does Woodside play in the energy transition."

He said that meant choosing between becoming sustainable by managing emissions or by investing in other types of energy, such as hydrogen.

Woodside this week appointed its development and marketing chief Meg O'Neill as acting CEO to replace Coleman as the company prepares to make a final investment decision on the Scarborough project and an expansion of its Pluto LNG (liquefied natural gas) which Scarborough will feed.



Woodside postponed a decision on Scarborough to late 2021 last year, when oil prices crashed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. A final go-ahead will hinge on market conditions, sealing a commercial agreement with its partner BHP Group , and selling a stake in the Pluto LNG expansion, Coleman and Chairman Richard Goyder said.

Goyder said there was no intention to slow that plan.

"You don't stop things because you've got a CEO transition, particularly something like Scarborough, which is so important to the future of Woodside," he told reporters.

"There'll be other challenges if Scarborough doesn't get up, there'll be more macro challenges," he said.

Coleman is stepping down on Monday after 10 years at the helm of the company.

Goyder said installing O'Neill on an interim basis would give the board a chance to see how she operates without Coleman.

"We know what we're looking for in an incoming CEO, and Meg is clearly a strong candidate, and there are others," he said.

He declined to comment on the number of candidates or when a permanent CEO would be named. COVID-19 travel curbs are slowing the process, he said. 

(Reporting by Sonali Paul; Editing by Ana Nicolaci da Costa)

Categories: People & Company News Australia/NZ

Related Stories

Woodside to Shed Some Trinidad and Tobago Assets for $206M

CNOOC Sees 11% Profit Growth in 2024 Driven by Record Oil Production

Woodside Inks Long-Term LNG Supply Deal with China Resources

ADNOC Signs 15-Year LNG Supply Deal with Osaka Gas for Ruwais Project

SLB Names Raman CSO, CMO

Abu Dhabi's NMDC Group Gets $1.1B Subsea Gas Pipeline Job in Taiwan

ADES’ Fourth Suspended Jack-Up Rig Gets Work Offshore Thailand

AI & Offshore Energy: The Higher the Stakes, the More Value AI Creates

Transocean’s Drillship to Stay in India Under New $111M Deal

OPEC+ Passes on Oil Output Increase, Weighs the "Trump Effect"

Current News

INEOS Wraps Up Acquisition of CNOOC’s US Oil and Gas Assets

Fire at Petronas Gas Pipeline in Malaysia Sends 63 to Hospital

Japan’s ENEOS Xplora, PVEP Ink Deal for Vietnam Offshore Block

CNOOC Makes Major Oil and Gas Discovery in South China Sea

Valeura’s Assets in Gulf of Thailand Remain Operational After Earthquake

Op-Ed: Kazakhstan’s National O&G Firm Positioning Itself as Global Energy Player

Woodside to Shed Some Trinidad and Tobago Assets for $206M

CNOOC Sees 11% Profit Growth in 2024 Driven by Record Oil Production

‘Ultra-Mega’ Offshore Deal for L&T at QatarEnergy LNG’s North Field Gas Scheme

Keel Laying for Wind Flyer Trimaran Crew Boat

Subscribe for AOG Digital E‑News

AOG Digital E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

https://accounts.newwavemedia.com