Myanmar Coup: Right Groups Call on Oil Firm Total to Suspend Payments on Operations

Benjamin Mallet
Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Total faced calls from rights groups on Tuesday to suspend payments on operations in Myanmar following a coup, after the oil group said it was worried about the situation while also highlighting the importance of its business there.

The French company, which has been in Myanmar since 1992, operates at the Yadana and Sein offshore fields, which supply Myanmar’s domestic market via a pipeline built by national company Myanmar Oil and Gas Enterprise (MOGE).

“Total is worried about the situation and hopes for a peaceful solution,” Total said in a statement on Twitter on Monday, responding to a news article about its involvement in Myanmar.

“Total condemns violations of fundamental rights wherever they take place and will be aligned with any decisions on sanctions. As a reminder, Yadana supplies half of the electricity in Yangon.”

The military ousted the elected government of veteran democracy champion Aung San Suu Kyi on Feb. 1, detaining her and cracking down on protests that followed. More than 180 people have been killed.

The U.N. human rights investigator has called for coordinated international sanctions on MOGE, the country’s state energy firm.

Companies such as France’s Total and U.S.-based Chevron have worked for decades with MOGE, which, according to the U.N. investigator “is now controlled by the military junta and represents the single largest source of revenue to the state."

Total’s statement sparked a response from Justice for Myanmar, an activist group, which said Total “should match words with action by suspending all payments to the illegal military junta”.

Other social media users also responded, including some in Myanmar who said they would prefer electricity to be cut off.

Australia’s Woodside Petroleum said last month it was cutting its presence in Myanmar amid concern over the violence by security forces against protesters demonstrating against the coup.


(Reporting by Benjamin Mallet, Writing by Sarah White; Editing by Robert Birsel)


Categories: Energy Industry News Activity Asia

Related Stories

BP Adds Three Exploration Blocks off Indonesia

Inpex Inks Abadi LNG Gas Supply Deal With Indonesian State Firms

Energean Cuts 2026 Output Forecast After Israel Shutdown

Oil Prices Ease as US Holds Off Renewed Strikes Against Iran

UAE Speeds Up Pipeline Project to Help Bypass Hormuz

Petronas Signs 20-year Charter Deal with MISC for Five LNG Carrier Newbuilds

ADNOC Drilling Posts Record First-Quarter Results with 5% Revenue Rise

Gulf Marine Services Profit Plunges After Gulf Vessel Evacuations

IEA: Middle East Conflict Reshaping Medium-Term Gas Outlook

ADNOC Drilling Finalizes MB Petroleum JV, Expands Regional Fleet

Current News

Wood Secures Subsea Design Scope on QatarEnergy’s Bul Hanine Redevelopment

Oil Prices Rise as Iran Talks Stall and Inventories Shrink

Indonesia Puts 13 Oil And Gas Blocks on Bidding Round Offer

BP Adds Three Exploration Blocks off Indonesia

Indonesia Signs Eight Oil and Gas Contracts

Inpex Inks Abadi LNG Gas Supply Deal With Indonesian State Firms

Energean Cuts 2026 Output Forecast After Israel Shutdown

Wison Starts Topsides Fabrication for Türkiye’s Sakarya Deepwater FPU

Oil Prices Ease as US Holds Off Renewed Strikes Against Iran

Velesto Secures Malaysia Drilling Deal with Hibiscus

Subscribe for AOG Digital E‑News

AOG Digital E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

https://accounts.newwavemedia.com