Myanmar Coup Won't Affect Offshore Exploration Plans, Woodside CEO Says

Sonali Paul
Friday, February 19, 2021

Australia's Woodside Petroleum sees the military coup in Myanmar as "a transitionary issue" that would not affect its drilling in waters off the Southeast Asian nation, its chief executive said.

His comments came as Australia, India, Japan, and the United States called for democracy to be restored quickly in Myanmar two weeks after the military overthrew the elected government of Aung San Suu Kyi.

Woodside Chief Executive Peter Coleman said the company does not see the coup holding back gas exploration work this year, including pre-engineering work for the A-6 gas field, which Woodside plans to develop with France's Total SA.

"At the moment we see this as being a transitionary issue. You've got an emerging democracy working through their processes," Coleman told Reuters.

"I look at it and say in the fullness of time the Myanmar people will work this out. At the moment the military's committed to having free elections within 12 months....We hope that that's in fact what will occur, and we'll watch this very closely."



Woodside is not facing any diplomatic pressure to pull back, Coleman said, adding it was very unlikely U.S. sanctions would get in the way of Woodside's work.

"The U.S. sanctions at the moment have been on individuals, and that's typically where the U.S. has been," he said in an interview on Thursday.

"I think Western governments are very cautious about their approach to Myanmar at the moment, understanding the more sanctions they put on the more they could drive the military government towards the Chinese and others to look for support."

Hundreds of thousands of people have been taking to the streets almost daily across Myanmar demanding a reversal of the Feb. 1 coup. Police have broken up the demonstrations and one protester shot in the head last week died on Friday.

Many protesters are calling for a boycott on companies that do business with the military. Coleman said Woodside has not been a target of any protests.

(Reporting by Sonali Paul; Editing by Kim Coghill)


Credit: Woodside

Categories: Asia Exploration Regulations

Related Stories

ConocoPhillips, CNOOC Put Penglai Field off China Into Full Operation

Vantris Energy Secures Petronas’ Offshore Drilling Work Orders

ADNOC, SLB Roll Out AI Platform Across More Than 120 Drilling Rigs

Subsea7 Lands ‘Sizeable’ Contract for Work Offshore Brunei

Serica Energy Agrees $194M Pharos Energy Acquisition

BP Moves Indonesia CCUS Project Into Offshore Installation Phase

Eni-Petronas JV Starts Indonesia-Bound FPSO Construction

QatarEnergy Prolongs LNG Force Majeure, Charters Out Tankers

Energean Lifts Karish Fields FPSO Oil Processing Capacity

Searah Malaysia Starts Upstream Oil and Gas Operations

Current News

TenneT Completes Drilling, Installation of Protective Conduits for Wind Farms

ConocoPhillips, CNOOC Put Penglai Field off China Into Full Operation

Mermaid Maritime Expands Into US Offshore Market

ONGC Nears Venezuela Operatorship Deals, Regains Russia’s Sakhalin-1 Stake

Fugro Secures India Deepwater Drilling ROV Contract

Vantris Energy Secures Petronas’ Offshore Drilling Work Orders

ADNOC, SLB Roll Out AI Platform Across More Than 120 Drilling Rigs

Oil Rises as Uncertainty Clouds US-Iran Peace Talks

India’s ONGC to Allocate Half of New Oil Storage to Strategic Reserves

Subsea7 Lands ‘Sizeable’ Contract for Work Offshore Brunei

Subscribe for AOG Digital E‑News

AOG Digital E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

https://accounts.newwavemedia.com