The Philippines: Duterte Lifts Offshore Drilling Moratorium

Enrico Dela Cruz
Friday, October 16, 2020

Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte has lifted the moratorium on petroleum exploration in the South China Sea, paving the way for three projects to resume, including a possible joint venture with China.

Energy Secretary Alfonso Cusi said on Thursday that service contractors were notified to resume energy-related activity in the area, which had been suspended from 2014 due to territorial disputes.

China claims almost the entire South China Sea, believed to be rich in energy and marine resources. Brunei, Malaysia, Vietnam and Taiwan also have claims.

Last year Duterte said Beijing had offered Manila a controlling stake in a joint energy venture in the South China Sea, if it sets aside an international arbitral award that went against China.

The Philippines had imposed the moratorium while awaiting a ruling in a case by the Permanent Court of Arbitration in the Hague, which in 2016 invalidated China's claim to sovereignty over most of the South China Sea.

Cusi said the decision to lift the moratorium was arrived at "in good faith and with full regard of the ongoing negotiations between the Philippines and China, and Forum Ltd and the China National Offshore Corp" (CNOOC).

Forum, a unit of the Philippines' PXP Energy Corp, operates Service Contract 72 covering gas exploration in the Reed Bank, which is within the disputed territory. PXP has had talks with CNOOC about joint exploration and development there.

Two other exploration projects have been given the go-signal, such as SC 59 operated by Philippine National Oil Company and SC 75, also by PXP.

"The lifting of the suspension places the service contractors under legal obligation to put capital into the contract areas and hire Filipino engineers and technical workers," Cusi said in a statement.

The Chinese embassy in Manila did not respond to Reuters' request for comment. 

(Reporting by Enrico Dela Cruz; Additional reporting by Neil Jerome Morales; Editing by Catherine Evans and Toby Chopra)

Categories: Drilling Industry News Activity Asia Regulations The Philippines

Related Stories

TenneT Completes Drilling, Installation of Protective Conduits for Wind Farms

Fugro Secures India Deepwater Drilling ROV Contract

ADNOC, SLB Roll Out AI Platform Across More Than 120 Drilling Rigs

Oil Rises as Uncertainty Clouds US-Iran Peace Talks

FPSO for Azule Energy’s Angola Offshore Field Starts Taking Shape in China

ABL Gets Papua New Guinea FSO Job

Velesto Terminates NAGA 3 Jack-Up Rig Sale to Indonesian Firm

Noble Gets $136M Brunei Drillship Job

Arabian Drilling Set to Resume Ops with Three Offshore Rigs

Jadestone Brings First Malaysia Campaign Well Online at 3,000 bpd

Current News

TenneT Completes Drilling, Installation of Protective Conduits for Wind Farms

ConocoPhillips, CNOOC Put Penglai Field off China Into Full Operation

Mermaid Maritime Expands Into US Offshore Market

ONGC Nears Venezuela Operatorship Deals, Regains Russia’s Sakhalin-1 Stake

Fugro Secures India Deepwater Drilling ROV Contract

Vantris Energy Secures Petronas’ Offshore Drilling Work Orders

ADNOC, SLB Roll Out AI Platform Across More Than 120 Drilling Rigs

Oil Rises as Uncertainty Clouds US-Iran Peace Talks

India’s ONGC to Allocate Half of New Oil Storage to Strategic Reserves

Subsea7 Lands ‘Sizeable’ Contract for Work Offshore Brunei

Subscribe for AOG Digital E‑News

AOG Digital E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

https://accounts.newwavemedia.com