BHP to Sell Stake in Exxon-led Bass Strait Joint Venture

Sonali Paul
Tuesday, August 18, 2020

BHP Group said on Tuesday it plans to sell its 50% stake in the Australian Bass Strait oil and gas venture as it seeks to focus on its higher-value petroleum assets.

The Bass Strait joint venture is co-owned and operated by Exxon Mobil Corp, which has also put its 50% stake up for sale. Analysts have estimated the 50% stake could fetch up to $3 billion.

The Bass Strait oil and gas fields off Australia's southeastern coast have produced more than 4 billion barrels of crude oil and about 8 trillion cubic feet of gas over the past 50 years and now face a steep decline.

"We continue to optimize our petroleum portfolio through the exit of later life assets, including an intended exit from Bass Strait," BHP said in its annual results statement.

At $1.1 billion, the Bass Strait was the biggest single contributor to BHP's petroleum revenue in the year to June 2020, but that was down from a $1.6 billion annual contribution a decade ago.

Analysts said BHP might be able to sell its stake ahead of Exxon as the Anglo-Australian company's interest might attract more bidders as it is not the operator of the field.

However, Wood Mackenzie analyst Daniel Toleman said not knowing who the operator is going to be is a "major risk".

"The main impediment to this deal is the abandonment liabilities, which are significant," Toleman said, referring to the costs of decommissioning offshore oil and gas platforms. He did not give an estimate.

Regulators will likely watch the sale closely after a small company, North Oil & Gas Australia (NOGA), bought an aging field in 2016 which came with $156 million in abandonment liabilities, but then went into voluntary administration last year. The decommissioning costs for the Bass Strait assets would be many times higher than that.

"Abandonment costs and heightened regulatory scrutiny over any buyer's ability to meet them in the wake of the NOGA debacle, could drastically limit the pool of buyers for Bass Strait interests," said Credit Suisse analyst Saul Kavonic.

(Reporting by Sonali Paul; Editing by Muralikumar Anantharaman and Susan Fenton)

Categories: Energy Industry News Activity Australia/NZ

Related Stories

‘Ultra-Mega’ Offshore Deal for L&T at QatarEnergy LNG’s North Field Gas Scheme

Marine Masters Secures Wellhead Platforms Installation Job Off India

MODEC and Samsung Team Up to Install Carbon Capture Tech on FPSO

Sapura Energy Nets $720M from Multiple Drilling Services Contracts

Shell Predicts 60% Rise in LNG Demand by 2040 with Asia Leading the Way

CNOOC Starts Production at Offshore Oil Filed Equipped with CCUS Tech

Santos Hires Weststar-GAP for Timor-Leste Offshore Helicopter Services

Floating LNG Conversion Job Slips Out of Seatrium’s Hands

INEOS Picks Up CNOOC’s US Assets in $2B Deal

RINA to Conduct Pre-FEED Study for Petronas’ CCS Project in Malaysia

Current News

VARD Snags $125m Shipbuilding Deal for Subsea Contruction Vessel

Mitsui’s STATS Lands Malaysian Pipeline Isolation Job

INEOS Wraps Up Acquisition of CNOOC’s US Oil and Gas Assets

Fire at Petronas Gas Pipeline in Malaysia Sends 63 to Hospital

Japan’s ENEOS Xplora, PVEP Ink Deal for Vietnam Offshore Block

CNOOC Makes Major Oil and Gas Discovery in South China Sea

Valeura’s Assets in Gulf of Thailand Remain Operational After Earthquake

Op-Ed: Kazakhstan’s National O&G Firm Positioning Itself as Global Energy Player

Woodside to Shed Some Trinidad and Tobago Assets for $206M

CNOOC Sees 11% Profit Growth in 2024 Driven by Record Oil Production

Subscribe for AOG Digital E‑News

AOG Digital E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

https://accounts.newwavemedia.com