Beach Energy, Diamond Offshore Settle Dispute over Ocean Onyx Rig Deal. Sign New Contract

Monday, August 17, 2020

Australian oil company Beach Energy has signed a new contract with drilling company Diamond Offshore for the use of the Ocean Onyx semi-submersible drilling rig.

The news comes after Beach in April terminated the previously signed contract for the rig, citing delays in the rig's arrival. Diamond Offshore then sued Beach Energy for unlawful termination.

Beach Energy on Monday said that the parties executed a new offshore drilling agreement for the use of the Ocean Onyx Semi-submersible rig to undertake Beach’s Victorian Otway offshore drilling program.

The agreement provides for the drilling of up to 9 wells (6 firm and 3 options), with drilling operations expected to start between December 2020 and March 2021.

The previous contract, terminated by Beach, was for 6 wells + 5 option wells and was supposed to start mid-Apr 2020 and run until 2Q 2021.

Under the new agreement, the first well in the drilling sequence is expected to be the Artisan 1 exploration well, followed by a series of development wells in the Geographe and Thylacine gas fields. 

"The agreement, which is at a globally competitive rig rate for deepwater semi-submersible rigs, includes provisions for COVID-19 related costs and delays," Beach Energy said. Norwegian rig broking company Bassoe Offshore has estimated the day rate to be around $220000.

In parallel with signing the contract, Beach Energy and Diamond Offshore have also signed a settlement agreement, which dismisses all current legal proceedings regarding the termination of the previous drilling agreement.

Beach Managing Director and CEO Matt Kay said “We are pleased to constructively engage with Diamond and sign a new drilling agreement, in what has been a difficult time for the industry. It means Beach can move forward with its plans to develop additional natural gas supplies for the east coast gas market.” 

"We look forward to working closely with Diamond over the coming weeks to prepare for the start-up of the offshore drilling campaign."

Worth reminding, Diamond Offshore in April filed voluntary petitions for reorganization under chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Texas. Despite this, the company at the time said its clients and vendors should expect business as usual.


Categories: Drilling Industry News Activity Rigs Australia/NZ

Related Stories

Woodside to Shed Some Trinidad and Tobago Assets for $206M

Shell Hires Noble’s Drillship for Work in Southeast Asia

Sapura Energy Nets $720M from Multiple Drilling Services Contracts

Initial Drilling Results Raise Questions on South Korea’s Offshore Gas Viability

Santos Hires Weststar-GAP for Timor-Leste Offshore Helicopter Services

ADES’ Fourth Suspended Jack-Up Rig Gets Work Offshore Thailand

Transocean’s Drillship to Stay in India Under New $111M Deal

TotalEnergies Wraps Up Acquisition of SapuraOMV’s Gas Assets

Petronas Awards PSCs for Nine Fields and One Exploration Block off Malaysia

Sunda Energy Closing in on Jack-Up Deal for Chuditch-2 Appraisal Well

Current News

INEOS Wraps Up Acquisition of CNOOC’s US Oil and Gas Assets

Fire at Petronas Gas Pipeline in Malaysia Sends 63 to Hospital

Japan’s ENEOS Xplora, PVEP Ink Deal for Vietnam Offshore Block

CNOOC Makes Major Oil and Gas Discovery in South China Sea

Valeura’s Assets in Gulf of Thailand Remain Operational After Earthquake

Op-Ed: Kazakhstan’s National O&G Firm Positioning Itself as Global Energy Player

Woodside to Shed Some Trinidad and Tobago Assets for $206M

CNOOC Sees 11% Profit Growth in 2024 Driven by Record Oil Production

‘Ultra-Mega’ Offshore Deal for L&T at QatarEnergy LNG’s North Field Gas Scheme

Keel Laying for Wind Flyer Trimaran Crew Boat

Subscribe for AOG Digital E‑News

AOG Digital E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

https://accounts.newwavemedia.com