Saudi Aramco Suspends Shelf Drilling Jack-Up Rig

Bartolomej Tomic
Monday, June 15, 2020

Saudi oil giant Saudi Aramco has decided to suspend a contract with Shelf Drilling for the High Island IV jack-up drilling rig.

The offshore drilling contractor said Monday it had received a notification from "a customer" on the suspension of operations for the High Island IV jack-up rig for a period of up to 12 months.

The jack-up rig, built in 1980, has worked for Saudi Aramco for years, and under the contract signed in February 2020, it was expected to stay with the Saudi oil company until February 2030 at a dayrate of $80,000. The contract included an annual rate adjustment linked to the Brent oil price.

"The foregoing suspension at zero dayrate will be effective upon the completion of work currently in progress and will automatically extend the term of the contract for a period equal to the suspension period," Shelf Drilling said Monday.

The jack-up rig, previously owned by Transocean under the name of GSF High Island 4, has been with Saudi Aramco in Saudi Arabia since 2007, according to VesselsValue data.

Shelf Drilling, one of the world's largest jack-up rig contractors by fleet size, last month said it had reduced headcount and executive compensations, as a response to a dire situation in the offshore drilling market caused by low oil prices and the Covid-19 pandemic.

The company in May posted a $184,9 million net loss for the first quarter of the year, a result hit by impairment charges.

The company in May said it was under pressure from customers to renegotiate day rates and several customers were considering suspending, terminating, or reducing the duration of contracts.

"As a result, we believe day rates will be under pressure in 2020 in response to lower oil prices and continued oil supply-demand imbalance," the company said.


Categories: Middle East Drilling Rigs Saudi Arabia

Related Stories

Vantris Energy Secures Petronas’ Offshore Drilling Work Orders

Oil Rises as Uncertainty Clouds US-Iran Peace Talks

Keppel Launches $2.9B Program to Monetize Legacy Offshore Drilling Rigs

ABL Gets Papua New Guinea FSO Job

ADNOC Approves $6.2B Offshore Umm Shaif Gas Project

Velesto Frees Up Drilling Rig After Early Contract Termination off Indonesia

Hormuz Crossings Decline as US Renews Iran Blockade

Arabian Drilling Set to Resume Ops with Three Offshore Rigs

Eni and Petronas JV Extend Ventura Offshore’s Drilling Job in Indonesia

Walking Into the Future: ADNOC Drilling Unveils First AI-Powered Island Rig

Current News

TenneT Completes Drilling, Installation of Protective Conduits for Wind Farms

ConocoPhillips, CNOOC Put Penglai Field off China Into Full Operation

Mermaid Maritime Expands Into US Offshore Market

ONGC Nears Venezuela Operatorship Deals, Regains Russia’s Sakhalin-1 Stake

Fugro Secures India Deepwater Drilling ROV Contract

Vantris Energy Secures Petronas’ Offshore Drilling Work Orders

ADNOC, SLB Roll Out AI Platform Across More Than 120 Drilling Rigs

Oil Rises as Uncertainty Clouds US-Iran Peace Talks

India’s ONGC to Allocate Half of New Oil Storage to Strategic Reserves

Subsea7 Lands ‘Sizeable’ Contract for Work Offshore Brunei

Subscribe for AOG Digital E‑News

AOG Digital E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

https://accounts.newwavemedia.com