Melbana Gets More Time to Find Beehive Drilling Partner

Friday, May 29, 2020

Australian oil and gas company Melbana Energy has been given more time to work on its Beehive offshore prospect in the Bonaparte Basin off W. Australia.

The company said Friday that the National Offshore Petroleum Titles Administrator had approved Melbana's application for a 12-month suspension of the work program conditions in respect of Permit Year 3 (with a corresponding extension of the permit term) for the WA-488-P block containing the Beehive prospect.

As a result, Permit Year 3 now ends on 21 December 2021 and the permit term will end on 21 December 2023.

The offshore block WA-488-P contains the giant Beehive prospect – a carbonate build-up that has been independently assessed to have a prospective resource of 388 million barrels of oil equivalent (best estimate). 

A 3D seismic survey has been completed over the prospect and considerable progress has been made on planning and permitting for an exploration well.

Melbana is on a lookout for a drilling partner for the Behive, as Australian oil and gas company Santos, and France's oil giant Total who had had options to farm-into the block, opted not to.

Beehive, sitting in a water depth of 40 meters, is located close to several existing facilities, including the Ichthys project and Blacktip field and pipeline offering several options for future monetization, Melbana has previously said.

Melbana Energy’s Executive Chairman, Andrew Purcell, said: "We will use this extra time to continue to evaluate the 3D seismic results and further progress discussions with potential farminees for the drilling of an exploration well into this structure. These types of carbonate buildups are responsible for some of the world’s largest discoveries. When they work, they tend to work big, as can be seen in the estimates of prospective resource being significantly skewed to the upside, so we will continue to work towards the drilling of this important prospect.”

Categories: Energy Offshore Energy Drilling Industry News Activity Australia/NZ

Related Stories

Oil Prices Rise as Iran Talks Stall and Inventories Shrink

Inpex Inks Abadi LNG Gas Supply Deal With Indonesian State Firms

Wison Starts Topsides Fabrication for Türkiye’s Sakarya Deepwater FPU

Oil Prices Ease as US Holds Off Renewed Strikes Against Iran

Yinson Production, PTSC Raise Over $130M for Vietnam’s Block B FSO

ADNOC Drilling Posts Record First-Quarter Results with 5% Revenue Rise

Indonesia’s Mako Gas Project on Track for First Gas in 2027

Eni Makes Major Gas Discovery Offshore Indonesia

Borr Drilling Expects Higher Activity as Rigs Return to Work

Sunda, Finder Target Shared Rig for Timor-Leste Offshore Drilling

Current News

Wood Secures Subsea Design Scope on QatarEnergy’s Bul Hanine Redevelopment

Oil Prices Rise as Iran Talks Stall and Inventories Shrink

Indonesia Puts 13 Oil And Gas Blocks on Bidding Round Offer

BP Adds Three Exploration Blocks off Indonesia

Indonesia Signs Eight Oil and Gas Contracts

Inpex Inks Abadi LNG Gas Supply Deal With Indonesian State Firms

Energean Cuts 2026 Output Forecast After Israel Shutdown

Wison Starts Topsides Fabrication for Türkiye’s Sakarya Deepwater FPU

Oil Prices Ease as US Holds Off Renewed Strikes Against Iran

Velesto Secures Malaysia Drilling Deal with Hibiscus

Subscribe for AOG Digital E‑News

AOG Digital E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

https://accounts.newwavemedia.com