Origin Energy to Defer Shale Drilling in Australia

Thursday, March 26, 2020

Origin Energy will defer shale exploration drilling in Australia's Northern Territory until the second half of this year in a bid to protect workers from a coronavirus, the company said on Thursday.

Origin, operator of a joint venture with Dublin-based Falcon Oil & Gas Ltd, resumed drilling in the Beetaloo Basin last year after a three-year break when drilling was banned, and had hoped to get first test results around July this year.

It has estimated the Beetaloo Basin contains 6.6 trillion cubic feet of potentially recoverable gas and is testing how much of that might be commercially recoverable.

"Given the unprecedented circumstances brought about by COVID-19," the company said in an emailed statement, it would halt work at the Kyalla well site and reschedule activity to the second half.

While the site is hundreds of kilometres away from indigenous communities, seen as particularly vulnerable to the virus, an Origin spokeswoman said the decision had been prompted by concerns about bringing materials in for fracking.

"We remain committed to our Beetaloo project which, if successful, has the potential to deliver long-term economic and social benefits," the company added.

The Beetaloo drilling effort formed part of a capital spending program of between A$530 million and A$580 million for the year to June 2020, excluding its spending on the Australia Pacific liquefied natural gas project. (Reporting by Sonali Paul; Editing by Clarence Fernandez)

Categories: Shale Oil & Gas Drilling Exploration Australia/NZ Shale

Related Stories

ConocoPhillips, CNOOC Put Penglai Field off China Into Full Operation

Velesto Frees Up Drilling Rig After Early Contract Termination off Indonesia

Velesto Terminates NAGA 3 Jack-Up Rig Sale to Indonesian Firm

Arabian Drilling Set to Resume Ops with Three Offshore Rigs

From Fixtures to Values: Where the Jackup Recovery Is Already Being Priced

Eni and Petronas JV Extend Ventura Offshore’s Drilling Job in Indonesia

Hormuz Reopening Risks Turning Oil Shortage Into Glut

Walking Into the Future: ADNOC Drilling Unveils First AI-Powered Island Rig

Valeura Concludes Nong Yao Drilling Ops, Boosts Gulf of Thailand Production

Inpex’s Ichthys LNG Strike Persists as Fair Work Hearing Gets Postponed

Current News

ConocoPhillips, CNOOC Put Penglai Field off China Into Full Operation

Mermaid Maritime Expands Into US Offshore Market

ONGC Nears Venezuela Operatorship Deals, Regains Russia’s Sakhalin-1 Stake

Fugro Secures India Deepwater Drilling ROV Contract

Vantris Energy Secures Petronas’ Offshore Drilling Work Orders

ADNOC, SLB Roll Out AI Platform Across More Than 120 Drilling Rigs

Oil Rises as Uncertainty Clouds US-Iran Peace Talks

India’s ONGC to Allocate Half of New Oil Storage to Strategic Reserves

Subsea7 Lands ‘Sizeable’ Contract for Work Offshore Brunei

FPSO for Azule Energy’s Angola Offshore Field Starts Taking Shape in China

Subscribe for AOG Digital E‑News

AOG Digital E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

https://accounts.newwavemedia.com