Husky Energy Delays Projects, Cuts Upstream Capex by $900M

OE Staff
Friday, March 13, 2020

Canadian oil and gas company has cut its CAPEX and production guidance for 2020 amid the volatile oil market environment. The cuts will be made in its upstream business with projects put on hold in China, Indonesia, and Canada.

The company has slashed its 2020 capital program reduced by $900 million; represents 33% reduction in upstream spending. 

Husky Energy now expects to spend between $1,75 billion and $1,9 billion in the upstream segment in 2020, down from previously planned $2,6 billion and 2,8 billion range. Apart from CAPEX cuts, the company is also looking at $100 million in additional cost-saving measures.

“Husky has three important advantages: a strong balance sheet, an Integrated Corridor which includes a sizeable downstream and midstream segment, and Offshore operations that include long-term gas contracts in the Asia Pacific region not linked to the price of oil,” said CEO Rob Peabody.

"Given current market conditions Husky will commence the safe and orderly reduction, or shut-in, of production where it is cash negative on a variable cost basis at current prices," the company said.

In the Asia Pacific region, the development of the Block 15/33 oil field offshore China has been deferred by a year. In Indonesia, Husky has deferred the development of the MDA-MBH natural gas field.

The Liuhua 29-1 field at the Liwan Gas Project in China is not affected by the capital cuts and is being advanced as planned, with the first production expected by the end of 2020.

As part of the cuts, spending in resource plays and conventional heavy oil projects in Western Canada has been halted, with a focus on optimizing existing production and lowering costs. Drilling of sustaining pads at all thermal operations has been suspended.

Also, Lloydminster thermal projects scheduled to be delivered beyond 2020 have been deferred and will be reconsidered as market conditions improve.

"The Company continues to review further capital adjustments in response to the current market environment. Additional cost reduction initiatives totaling approximately $100 million in 2020 will include a reduction in well-servicing activities on uneconomic production, and a halt in exploration activity," Husky said.

Categories: Finance Energy Drilling Activity Production Asia North America Canada Exploration China Indonesia

Related Stories

Fugro Secures India Deepwater Drilling ROV Contract

India’s ONGC to Allocate Half of New Oil Storage to Strategic Reserves

Jadestone Energy Lifts Malaysia Production with Second Online Well

Velesto Terminates NAGA 3 Jack-Up Rig Sale to Indonesian Firm

Noble Gets $136M Brunei Drillship Job

Arabian Drilling Set to Resume Ops with Three Offshore Rigs

EnQuest Clears Key Hurdle for $833M Malaysia Offshore Deal

Hormuz Standoff Risks Chronic Instability for Gulf Oil Flows

Markets: Oil Majors Reload Exploration Hoppers Across Sub-Saharan Africa

Valeura Concludes Nong Yao Drilling Ops, Boosts Gulf of Thailand Production

Current News

ConocoPhillips, CNOOC Put Penglai Field off China Into Full Operation

Mermaid Maritime Expands Into US Offshore Market

ONGC Nears Venezuela Operatorship Deals, Regains Russia’s Sakhalin-1 Stake

Fugro Secures India Deepwater Drilling ROV Contract

Vantris Energy Secures Petronas’ Offshore Drilling Work Orders

ADNOC, SLB Roll Out AI Platform Across More Than 120 Drilling Rigs

Oil Rises as Uncertainty Clouds US-Iran Peace Talks

India’s ONGC to Allocate Half of New Oil Storage to Strategic Reserves

Subsea7 Lands ‘Sizeable’ Contract for Work Offshore Brunei

FPSO for Azule Energy’s Angola Offshore Field Starts Taking Shape in China

Subscribe for AOG Digital E‑News

AOG Digital E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

https://accounts.newwavemedia.com