Oil Hits Highest Since September

By Alex Lawler
Thursday, December 26, 2019

Oil rose towards $68 a barrel to its highest in over three months on Thursday, buoyed by a report showing lower U.S. crude inventories, hopes of an end to the China-U.S. trade dispute and OPEC-led efforts to constrain supply.

The American Petroleum Institute, an oil industry group, said late on Tuesday that U.S. crude stocks fell by 7.9 million barrels last week, much more than the decline forecast by analysts.

Brent crude, the global benchmark, reached $67.83 a barrel, the highest since Sept. 17, and by 1438 GMT was up 39 cents at $67.59. U.S. West Texas Intermediate crude gained 14 cents to $61.25.

"Prices for now are still supported," said Olivier Jakob, oil analyst at Petromatrix. "It's difficult to go against that trend during the holiday period."

Trading volume remains low due to the Christmas holidays, which have delayed the release of the U.S. government's official oil inventory report by two days until Friday.

Also supporting prices, U.S. President Donald Trump said on Tuesday he and Chinese President Xi Jinping would have a signing ceremony for the so-called Phase 1 agreement to end their trade dispute that was put together earlier this month.

The roughly 17-month trade war between the world's two largest economies has hit global growth and demand for oil, weighing on crude prices for most of the year.

Even so, Brent has still rallied 25 percent in 2019, supported by supply cuts by the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries and allies including Russia.

The so-called OPEC+ group agreed this month to extend and deepen production cuts that would take as much as 2.1 million barrels per day (bpd) of supply off the market from Jan. 1, or roughly 2% of global demand.

Still, U.S. producers, not party to the OPEC+ agreement, have been pumping record amounts of oil, especially shale. Growth in U.S. production is forecast by many to slow in 2020.

"Oil prices continue to show year-end strength, supported by a combination of definitive progress on the U.S.-China trade deal, the December OPEC/OPEC+ agreement and slowing shale activity," said Stephen Innes, chief Asia market strategist at AxiTrader.

But more supply is coming in the new year from OPEC members Saudi Arabia and Kuwait, which this week agreed to end a dispute over their Neutral Zone, which can supply as much as 500,000 bpd.


(Additional reporting by Aaron Sheldrick; Editing by Gareth Jones, Kirsten Donovan)

Categories: Energy Oil

Related Stories

ConocoPhillips, CNOOC Put Penglai Field off China Into Full Operation

Oil Rises as Uncertainty Clouds US-Iran Peace Talks

Saipem Cuts Earnings Outlook as Middle East Costs Rise

Serica Energy Agrees $194M Pharos Energy Acquisition

QatarEnergy Prolongs LNG Force Majeure, Charters Out Tankers

Oil Rises on Dual Shipping Threat in Hormuz and Red Sea

Jadestone Energy Lifts Malaysia Production with Second Online Well

Inpex Starts Construction of Indonesia's Abadi LNG Project

Floating Nuclear: A New Offshore Energy Frontier

Markets: Oil Majors Reload Exploration Hoppers Across Sub-Saharan Africa

Current News

ConocoPhillips, CNOOC Put Penglai Field off China Into Full Operation

Mermaid Maritime Expands Into US Offshore Market

ONGC Nears Venezuela Operatorship Deals, Regains Russia’s Sakhalin-1 Stake

Fugro Secures India Deepwater Drilling ROV Contract

Vantris Energy Secures Petronas’ Offshore Drilling Work Orders

ADNOC, SLB Roll Out AI Platform Across More Than 120 Drilling Rigs

Oil Rises as Uncertainty Clouds US-Iran Peace Talks

India’s ONGC to Allocate Half of New Oil Storage to Strategic Reserves

Subsea7 Lands ‘Sizeable’ Contract for Work Offshore Brunei

FPSO for Azule Energy’s Angola Offshore Field Starts Taking Shape in China

Subscribe for AOG Digital E‑News

AOG Digital E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

https://accounts.newwavemedia.com