UK Fracking Tsar Quits

Monday, April 29, 2019

The British government's fracking tsar Natascha Engel said on Sunday she had quit the role after just six months because government policy was preventing the industry from developing.

Fracking, or hydraulically fracturing, involves extracting gas from rocks by breaking them up with water and chemicals at high pressure.

It is fiercely opposed by environmentalists who have raised concerns about potential groundwater contamination and say extracting more fossil fuel is at odds with Britain's commitment to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

Engel, who was appointed the Commissioner for Shale Gas to act as a link between local communities, the industry and regulators, said that forcing fracking to stop every time there is a micro-tremor "amounts to a de facto ban on fracking".

"We are choosing to listen to a powerful environmental lobby campaigning against fracking rather than allowing science and evidence to guide our policy making. By staying silent, we are in danger of pandering to what we know to be myths and scare stories," Engel said in her resignation letter.

Earlier this year chemical giant Ineos and fracking firm Cuadrilla said current restrictions around seismic events at fracking sites could force the industry to close. The government has said it has no plans to review the regulations.

Under the so-called traffic light system, fracking must be paused for 18 hours following any seismic event of magnitude 0.5 or above, something which forced Cuadrilla to halt its operations several times last year.

"Shale gas could still have an exciting future in the UK but for that to be the case, the traffic light system needs to be reviewed quickly or the limits changed to reflect the measurements used in every other extractive industry," Engel said.

"In the absence of that, a perfectly viable industry is wasted."


(Reporting by Kylie MacLellan; Editing by Elaine Hardcastle)

Categories: Shale Oil & Gas Government Shale

Related Stories

Petronas Takes Operatorship of Oman’s Offshore Block 18

Transocean-Valaris Tie-Up to Create $17B Offshore Drilling Major with 73 Rigs

Vantage Drilling’s Ultra-Deepwater Drillship Heads to India Under $260M Contract

EnQuest Secures Extension for Vietnam's Offshore Block

Japan's Mitsui in Advanced Talks for Stake in Qatar’s North Field LNG Project

Australia and Timor-Leste Push to Advance Greater Sunrise Gas Field

Chevron in Final Talks with Eneos, Glencore on Singapore Assets Sale

CNOOC Makes Major Oil Discovery in Bohai Sea

CNOOC Launches New Offshore Oil Development in Southern China

Fugro Nets Mubadala Energy’s Deepwater Gas Job in Asia

Current News

Dolphin Drilling, Vantris Ink Marketing Deal for Blackford Dolphin Semi-Sub

Saipem Agrees $272M Deal to Acquire Deep Value Driller Drillship

DUG Hooks Multi-Client Seismic Reprocessing Survey off Malaysia

MISC, PTSC Extend Ruby II FPSO Operations Offshore Vietnam

Petronas Takes Operatorship of Oman’s Offshore Block 18

Mubadala Hires SLB for Deepwater Drilling Services Offshore Indonesia

Malaysia Offers Nine Exploration Blocks in 2026 Bid Round

Seatrium Unit Launches Arbitration Against Petrobras over FPSO Contract

Transocean-Valaris Tie-Up to Create $17B Offshore Drilling Major with 73 Rigs

Malaysia Oil and Gas Projects Advance with Petronas' PSC and Farm-Out Deals

Subscribe for AOG Digital E‑News

AOG Digital E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

https://accounts.newwavemedia.com