Siemens Gamesa Reshuffles Top Management

By Andrés González and Alexander Hübner
Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Wind turbine maker Siemens Gamesa announced a reshuffle of its top management on Tuesday, part of a bid to advance an ambitious cost-saving plan after a year-long board battle over issues ranging from suppliers to leadership.

David Mesonero, currently managing director of corporate development, strategy and integration, will take over as chief financial officer, the company said, while current CFO Miguel Angel Lopez Borrego becomes non-executive chairman.

The company's main shareholders, Siemens and Iberdrola, agreed the changes on Tuesday.

The two have had a number of disagreements since the merger of Gamesa and Siemens Wind Power made Siemens the company's biggest shareholder last year.

"As we have finished the integration, now we need to step up and focus on the execution of what has been laid out by management in the 2020 program," Michael Sen, a member of Siemens AG's managing board, told Reuters by telephone.

"I can tell you that we are happy... going to the next stage, which will be more focused on execution. At the end of the day, (the plan is) going in the right direction, it should be to the benefit of all shareholders."

The conflict between the two came to a head at the company's annual general meeting in April when several motions by Iberdrola, previously Gamesa's top shareholder, were dismissed.

Siemens hopes that the changes will smooth the relationship.

Mesonero, the son-in-law of Iberdrola's chairman, led the merger talks between Gamesa and Siemens Wind Power and has since been in charge of the integration of the two companies.

Gamesa also appointed Mark Albenze, chief executive of the service unit, as the new interim CEO of its onshore division, while incumbent Ricardo Chocarro will leave the company, it said.

Lower onshore activity was the main factor behind the company's lower operating profitability in the first half, it said earlier this year.

The company is targeting 2 billion euros ($2.3 billion) in cost cuts by 2020 to deal with fierce competition in the wind turbine sector as governments globally slash subsidies for renewable energy.


($1 = 0.8640 euros)

(Editing by Sonya Dowsett and Jan Harvey)

Categories: Renewable Energy Renewables Offshore Wind Wind Power Offshore Energy People

Related Stories

Petronas Plans Ramp-Up in Exploration, Production Over Three Years

Australia and Timor-Leste Push to Advance Greater Sunrise Gas Field

Petronas, CNOOC Ink LNG Sale and Purchase Agreement

Yinson Production Cuts First Steel for Vietnam-Bound FSO

Seatrium Maintains $12.8B Order Book on Renewables and FPSO Progress

Eneos Warns on Skyrocketing Costs fo Offshore Wind

Mooreast to Assess Feasibility of Floating Renewables Push in Timor-Leste

Sponsored: Energy and Finance Chiefs Call for Sound Policy, Stable Frameworks at ADIPEC

Sponsored: Policy, AI, and Capital Take Center Stage at ADIPEC 2025

How Hot Is Your Cable? Understanding Subsea Cable Thermal Performance

Current News

Inpex Secures Environmental Approval for Indonesia’s Abadi LNG Project

MISC Secures Long-Term Charter for Papua New Guinea's First FSO

Dolphin Drilling, Vantris Ink Marketing Deal for Blackford Dolphin Semi-Sub

Saipem Agrees $272M Deal to Acquire Deep Value Driller Drillship

DUG Hooks Multi-Client Seismic Reprocessing Survey off Malaysia

MISC, PTSC Extend Ruby II FPSO Operations Offshore Vietnam

Petronas Takes Operatorship of Oman’s Offshore Block 18

Mubadala Hires SLB for Deepwater Drilling Services Offshore Indonesia

Malaysia Offers Nine Exploration Blocks in 2026 Bid Round

Seatrium Unit Launches Arbitration Against Petrobras over FPSO Contract

Subscribe for AOG Digital E‑News

AOG Digital E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

https://accounts.newwavemedia.com