Chevron exits Indonesia's Makassar Strait block

By Wilda Asmarini
Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Chevron will exit the Makassar Strait gas block in the Indonesia Deepwater Development (IDD) offshore natural gas project to focus on more promising areas in the venture, Indonesian officials said on Wednesday.

Indonesia's energy minister had issued a decree terminating Chevron's Makassar Strait production sharing contract (PSC) after it decided not to extend its operation of the block beyond 2020, upstream oil and gas regulator SKKMigas said.

"Chevron was not interested in requesting an extension," SKKMigas chairman Amien Sunaryadi told reporters. "Their preference was (to exit)".

Chevron did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The IDD project began production from the Bangka field in late 2016, but the Makassar Strait block, one of three blocks in the project, is not in production.

"There was a discovery (of hydrocarbons)" in the Makassar Strait block's Maha oilfield, Sunaryadi said, "but in the calculations of NPV (net present value) it was negative."

"Compared to the others, this is small," he said.

The IDD project eventually aims to reach daily peak production at 1.1 billion cubic feet of natural gas and 31,000 barrels of condensate.

There are currently plans to develop the Gendalo and Gehem gas hubs in the two remaining blocks, Rapak and Ganal, off the coast of East Kalimantan.

Sunaryadi said the government is discussing the budget for the IDD project development plans, where it must approve any anticipated recoverable costs in the project.

Indonesia's deputy energy minister said late last month that Chevron intended to cut its planned investment in the projects to around $6 billion from $12.8 billion, but noted that the cuts would not impact its production targets.

The Indonesian government plans to tender the Makassar Strait block "as soon as possible", said Djoko Siswanto, the energy ministry's director general of oil and gas.

Pertamina Upstream Director Syamsu Alam said the state energy holding company was "currently evaluating" the block but hadn't yet decided if it wanted to assume the role of operator.

(Reporting by Wilda Asmarini; Writing by Fergus Jensen; Editing by Richard Pullin)

Categories: Deepwater Offshore Offshore Energy Indonesia

Related Stories

Oil Climbs Above $110 After Gulf Drone Attacks Raise Supply Fears

Global Businesses Face Mounting $25 Billion Fallout From Iran War

Petronas Signs 20-year Charter Deal with MISC for Five LNG Carrier Newbuilds

Norway O&G Revenue Forecast Jumps 30% for '26

Lloyd’s Register Approves Wison’s Internal Turret FPSO Concept

Bureau Veritas Expands Offshore Services with New Asia Hub

Oil Prices Jump as Ships Come Under Fire in Strait of Hormuz

US-Israel War on Iran Creates Biggest Energy Crisis in History

Hormuz Crisis Signals New Era of Risk for Gulf Energy

Middle East Producers Gear Up for Hormuz Export Restart

Current News

Velesto Secures Malaysia Drilling Deal with Hibiscus

Yinson Production, PTSC Raise Over $130M for Vietnam’s Block B FSO

Oil Climbs Above $110 After Gulf Drone Attacks Raise Supply Fears

Global Businesses Face Mounting $25 Billion Fallout From Iran War

ScioSense Launches UFC23 Ultrasonic Flow Converter for High-Precision, Ultra-Low-Power Smart Metering

Inpex Expands Australia Gas Portfolio with Browse Minority Stake Deal

UAE Speeds Up Pipeline Project to Help Bypass Hormuz

PV Drilling Secures Jack-Up Rig Deal from Zarubezhneft off Vietnam

Longitude to Integrate SynergenOG Following ABL Group Acquisition

Petronas Signs 20-year Charter Deal with MISC for Five LNG Carrier Newbuilds

Subscribe for AOG Digital E‑News

AOG Digital E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

https://accounts.newwavemedia.com