Libya's NOC Withholding Total's Share of Waha Crude

By Ahmad Ghaddar and Ron Bousso
Thursday, May 3, 2018

Libya's National Oil Corp (NOC) is withholding Total's share of crude from the Waha concession as a dispute drags on over the French oil major's purchase of Marathon's stake in the concession two months ago, Libyan oil and industry sources said.

Total closed a $450 million deal to buy Marathon Oil's 16.33 percent stake in Waha in March, but the deal drew criticism in Libya and the NOC is currently examining whether to intervene in one way or another.

Total, which has already paid Marathon for the stake, says it informed the Libyan authorities about the deal in advance and they raised no objections at the time.

However, Total CEO Patrick Pouyanne has also said the two sides are still in talks on some fiscal issues surrounding the deal.

According to two Libyan oil sources and an industry source with knowledge of the matter, all speaking on condition of anonymity, Total has so far not received any of its share of crude cargoes from Waha.

Total has also not been compensated for the cargoes, one of the sources said.

Total declined to comment. The NOC was not immediately available for comment.

According to a loading programme for Es Sider, the port used for Waha exports, of the fourteen 600,000 or 1 million barrel cargoes planned for May, NOC has ten of them. ConocoPhillips, which has a 16.33 percent stake in Waha, has two cargoes, and Hess, with an 8.16 percent stake, has another two.

Cargoes for the partners in the concession can vary from month to month, with a special department in the NOC deciding on the matter, one of the Libyan oil sources said.

In January, Marathon was allocated two 600,000 barrel cargoes, worth more than $88 million at current prices.

But from the start of this year, Marathon's cargoes have been sold on to oil trader Vitol via NOC, the Libyan oil source and trading sources said. Vitol's deal lasts until at least August, the Libyan source said.

It is not clear whether the change in hands of the Waha concession from Marathon to Total will affect Vitol's contract.

Vitol declined to comment.


(Additional reporting by Aidan Lewis in Tunis and Julia Payne in London; Editing by Mark Potter)

Categories: Contracts Finance Energy Government Update Shale Oil & Gas

Related Stories

Japan and South Korea Look to Partner Up with US for Alaska Pipeline

ADNOC Signs 15-Year LNG Supply Deal with Osaka Gas for Ruwais Project

Tokyo Gas Enters LNG Market in Philippines

Six New Gas Wells in Line for BP’s Shah Deniz Field in Caspian Sea

CNOOC Starts Production at Offshore Oil Filed Equipped with CCUS Tech

Japan's Mitsui Eyes Alaska LNG Project

Petronas Preps for Sabah-Sarawak Gas Pipeline Decom Op

EnQuest to Acquire Harbour Energy's Vietnamese Assets

Europe's Gas Uncertainty Help Drive Asian LNG Spot Prices Higher

Saipem’s Castorone Vessel on Its Way to Türkiye’s Largest Gas Field

Current News

Mitsui’s STATS Lands Malaysian Pipeline Isolation Job

INEOS Wraps Up Acquisition of CNOOC’s US Oil and Gas Assets

Fire at Petronas Gas Pipeline in Malaysia Sends 63 to Hospital

Japan’s ENEOS Xplora, PVEP Ink Deal for Vietnam Offshore Block

CNOOC Makes Major Oil and Gas Discovery in South China Sea

Valeura’s Assets in Gulf of Thailand Remain Operational After Earthquake

Op-Ed: Kazakhstan’s National O&G Firm Positioning Itself as Global Energy Player

Woodside to Shed Some Trinidad and Tobago Assets for $206M

CNOOC Sees 11% Profit Growth in 2024 Driven by Record Oil Production

‘Ultra-Mega’ Offshore Deal for L&T at QatarEnergy LNG’s North Field Gas Scheme

Subscribe for AOG Digital E‑News

AOG Digital E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

https://accounts.newwavemedia.com