Saudi Arabia to Restrain March Oil Exports

Posted by Joseph Keefe
Wednesday, February 14, 2018
Saudi says to keep exports below 7 million bpd in March; OPEC's Barkindo says 2018 oil demand growth to be healthy.
Saudi Arabia will restrain its oil exports in March despite lower domestic need for crude as OPEC's leader is pushing to eliminate fully the global oil glut and combat worries about a new cycle of oil price weakness.
The kingdom will keep its crude exports below 7 million barrels per day (bpd) in March, despite a maintenance shutdown of the 400,000 bpd SAMREF refinery, the Saudi energy ministry said, confirming a plan given earlier by industry sources.
"Saudi Arabia remains focused on working down excess oil inventories," a ministry spokesman said in a statement.
"Market volatility is a common concern for producers and consumers, and the Kingdom is committed to mitigating this volatility and moderating its negative impacts by responsibly meeting its pledges" under an OPEC-led supply cut deal.
The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries and outside producers including Russia are reducing output to get rid of a supply glut. The pact began a year ago and has been extended until the end of 2018.
The cut has boosted oil prices, which in January topped $71 a barrel for the first time since 2014. But crude has since slid and hit a 2018 low of $61.76 this week, pressured by rising U.S. output and forecasts oversupply may persist.
Saudi Arabia's Energy Minister Khalid al-Falih sounded an upbeat note even after the price drop, saying on Wednesday he was sure cooperation between OPEC and its non-OPEC allies will continue to stabilise the market.
"I am confident that our high degree of cooperation and coordination will continue and bring the desired results," Falih told an industry conference attended by Russian Energy Minister Alexander Novak and OPEC Secretary General Mohammad Barkindo.
"Market volatility is unfortunate but ultimately it is the fundamentals that I watch."
Barkindo said oil demand would grow this year at healthy levels and data pointed to continued high compliance by producers in January with their pledges under the supply cut deal.
OPEC has delivered more than 100 percent of the output cuts that members pledged under the deal, according to figures from OPEC and other analysts, helped in part by an involuntary drop in Venezuela, where output is falling amid an economic crisis.
The Saudi energy ministry also said production by state oil company Aramco in March will be 100,000 bpd below February's level, suggesting Saudi Arabia will continue to pump less than its OPEC target.
Novak met with Saudi King Salman at his palace in Riyadh on Wednesday and the two discussed producers' efforts to rebalance the market and decrease surplus inventories, Saudi state news agency SPA reported.

Novak had said on Tuesday oil inventories had been declining despite the rise in U.S. production. 


By Rania El Gamal

Categories: Legal Offshore Energy Shale Oil & Gas Contracts Energy

Related Stories

Saipem Agrees $272M Deal to Acquire Deep Value Driller Drillship

Mubadala Hires SLB for Deepwater Drilling Services Offshore Indonesia

Malaysia Offers Nine Exploration Blocks in 2026 Bid Round

Transocean-Valaris Tie-Up to Create $17B Offshore Drilling Major with 73 Rigs

Vantage Drilling’s Ultra-Deepwater Drillship Heads to India Under $260M Contract

Eni Enlists Shearwater for 3D Seismic Survey in Timor Sea

Viridien Kicks Off Multi-Client Reimaging Program off Malaysia

Offshore Rig Outlook: As 2025 Challenges Fade, Path Ahead Brightens

Low Demand, High Supply Keeps Asia LNG Spot Prices Flat

Sponsored: Energy Sector Urged to Scale AI Adoption at ADIPEC

Current News

Inpex Secures Environmental Approval for Indonesia’s Abadi LNG Project

MISC Secures Long-Term Charter for Papua New Guinea's First FSO

Dolphin Drilling, Vantris Ink Marketing Deal for Blackford Dolphin Semi-Sub

Saipem Agrees $272M Deal to Acquire Deep Value Driller Drillship

DUG Hooks Multi-Client Seismic Reprocessing Survey off Malaysia

MISC, PTSC Extend Ruby II FPSO Operations Offshore Vietnam

Petronas Takes Operatorship of Oman’s Offshore Block 18

Mubadala Hires SLB for Deepwater Drilling Services Offshore Indonesia

Malaysia Offers Nine Exploration Blocks in 2026 Bid Round

Seatrium Unit Launches Arbitration Against Petrobras over FPSO Contract

Subscribe for AOG Digital E‑News

AOG Digital E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

https://accounts.newwavemedia.com