Hormuz Traffic Falls to Five-Week Low as Tensions Escalate

Monday, July 13, 2026

The number of vessels transiting the Strait of Hormuz fell to multi-week lows on Sunday, shipping data showed, as renewed strikes between the U.S. and Iran and attacks on ships in the Middle East heightened safety concerns.

Six vessels transited the strait on Sunday, ship-tracking data from Kpler showed, the lowest number in five weeks.

Tankers that exited the strait included the Very Large Crude Carrier Humanity, laden with 2 million barrels of Iranian oil and another tanker, Capetan Andreas, carrying about 500,000 barrels of Kuwaiti oil products, the data showed, while three empty tankers entered the Gulf to load oil. Most of the tankers switched off their transponders when crossing the strait.

There were no liquefied natural gas tankers that entered the strait over the weekend that were visible on ship-tracking data.

One tanker controlled by the Abu Dhabi National Oil Co exited the strait between July 10 and July 12, Kpler data showed. The vessel is heading for Dahej port in India.

U.S. forces completed another wave of strikes against Iran on Sunday, hitting dozens of targets at multiple locations with precision munitions, the Central Command said.

U.S. President Donald Trump said on Sunday that the Strait of Hormuz is open to commercial traffic, although Iran declared earlier that it closed the strait after a vessel travelled on an unapproved route and was struck.

Iran's Revolutionary Guards said on Monday that its navy stopped two ships in the Strait of Hormuz last night by shutting down their systems. It did not name the ships involved.



(Reuters - Reporting by Florence Tan, Emily Chow, Siyi Liu and Trixie Yap; Editing by Lincoln Feast)

Categories: Offshore Vessels Government Update Middle East Industry News Activity Shipping Asia Maritime Safety and Security Oil and Gas Strait of Hormuz

Related Stories

Oil Eases After Topping $100, Still Set for Weekly Rise

QatarEnergy Prolongs LNG Force Majeure, Charters Out Tankers

ABL Gets Papua New Guinea FSO Job

Hormuz Crossings Decline as US Renews Iran Blockade

Oil Rises 2% as Middle East Hostilities Escalate

Oil Jumps 3% on Renewed US-Iran Conflict

Oil Surges 3% on Renewed US-Iran Strikes

Oil Holds Steady After US, Iran Agree to Cease Attacks

Markets: Oil Majors Reload Exploration Hoppers Across Sub-Saharan Africa

Qatari LNG Carriers Re-Enter Hormuz as Traffic Through Strait Slumps

Current News

TenneT Completes Drilling, Installation of Protective Conduits for Wind Farms

ConocoPhillips, CNOOC Put Penglai Field off China Into Full Operation

Mermaid Maritime Expands Into US Offshore Market

ONGC Nears Venezuela Operatorship Deals, Regains Russia’s Sakhalin-1 Stake

Fugro Secures India Deepwater Drilling ROV Contract

Vantris Energy Secures Petronas’ Offshore Drilling Work Orders

ADNOC, SLB Roll Out AI Platform Across More Than 120 Drilling Rigs

Oil Rises as Uncertainty Clouds US-Iran Peace Talks

India’s ONGC to Allocate Half of New Oil Storage to Strategic Reserves

Subsea7 Lands ‘Sizeable’ Contract for Work Offshore Brunei

Subscribe for AOG Digital E‑News

AOG Digital E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

https://accounts.newwavemedia.com