Inpex Faces Threat of Broad LNG Loading Ban as AU Labour Dispute Deepens

Tuesday, June 2, 2026

Workers began a limited strike on Tuesday at Inpex's Ichthys liquefied natural gas facilities in Australia over a wage dispute, and their unions threatened much broader action next week that could disrupt LNG production and loadings.

Ichthys accounts for about 10% of LNG supply from Australia, which is now the world's second-largest LNG exporter following damage to facilities in Qatar due to the Iran war.

The Offshore Alliance, made up of the Maritime Union of Australia and the Australian Workers' Union, said it was taking the action after Fair Work Commission-facilitated bargaining failed to resolve key claims on pay and conditions. The Electrical Trades Union (ETU) has also joined the strike.

Initially, workers will down tools for two hours in the morning and two hours in the evening, among other conditions.

However, the Offshore Alliance served notice of another, much more comprehensive strike to begin on June 11 and run until June 23 at the 9.3-million-metric-ton facility that could have major impacts on the production and export of LNG.


Japan Faces Possible LNG Supply Crunch


The work bans and stoppages at Ichthys come just as Japan faces a possible LNG supply crunch due to the Iran war. Australia is the country's largest LNG supplier.

"INPEX remains focused on maintaining safe operations at Ichthys LNG – and importantly, ensuring reliable energy supply to our key trading partners in the Indo-Pacific region amid disruption to global energy markets," Senior Vice President Corporate, Bill Townsend, said in an emailed statement.

The Offshore Alliance last week held off on strike action after making progress in talks with Inpex, but on Tuesday said the company had the company had failed to meet certain demands.

“The response from Inpex has been underwhelming and shows that the company is not taking the negotiations seriously,” the union group said in a statement.

The company said it "will continue to engage in good faith with employees to reach a fair and equitable agreement."

The fresh notice on Tuesday contains over 100 work stoppage points including a “ban on all activities associated with the preparation, connection, and loading of hydrocarbons (including LNG, LPG, and condensate) from the Bladin Point onshore storage tanks to an offtake carrier, excluding when an offtake has already commenced,” a notice from the Australian Workers' Union to Inpex reviewed by Reuters said.

France's TotalEnergies is a partner at Ichthys and takes 1.8 million tons a year from the plant, with Taiwan's CPC Corporation taking 1.75 million tons. Japanese utilities are among the other buyers.


Japanese Buyers Monitor Situation


Japanese gas buyers said they were monitoring the situation closely but declined to say if they had cargoes loading during the strike periods.

Tokyo Gas declined to comment but a spokesperson said the company was watching the situation "carefully".

A spokesperson for Kansai Electric said, "We don't expect a major impact in the short term, even if the strike brings operations of the project to a halt."

Talks on a new enterprise agreement began over eight months ago but the union group said progress had only been made since mandated talks overseen by Australia's labour tribunal began some weeks ago.

In 2022 and 2023, the Offshore Alliance organised strikes at three LNG projects in Australia, affecting global supply.


(Reuters - Reporting by Rajasik Mukherjee; Additional reporting by Kiyoshi Takenaka,Hina Suzuki in Tokyo; Editing by Shreya Biswas and Sonali Paul)

Categories: LNG People Industry News Activity Asia Oil and Gas Workover Well Operations Decommissioning Australia/NZ Rigs

Related Stories

QatarEnergy Prolongs LNG Force Majeure, Charters Out Tankers

Inpex Starts Construction of Indonesia's Abadi LNG Project

Sunda Energy Applies for Exploration Permit Offshore New Zealand

Unity Enters Asia-Pacific Market with Malaysia P&A Work

Arabian Drilling Set to Resume Ops with Three Offshore Rigs

ADNOC, XRG and Mitsui Broaden Energy Cooperation

Ruwais LNG Commitments Top 90% Capacity with New INPEX Deal

ADNOC Launches Global LNG Trading Powerhouse

ONGC Completes 44 Offshore Rig Moves Ahead of Monsoon Season

Explosion at Qatar's Ras Laffan LNG Hub Injures 54, Leaves 18 Missing

Current News

TenneT Completes Drilling, Installation of Protective Conduits for Wind Farms

ConocoPhillips, CNOOC Put Penglai Field off China Into Full Operation

Mermaid Maritime Expands Into US Offshore Market

ONGC Nears Venezuela Operatorship Deals, Regains Russia’s Sakhalin-1 Stake

Fugro Secures India Deepwater Drilling ROV Contract

Vantris Energy Secures Petronas’ Offshore Drilling Work Orders

ADNOC, SLB Roll Out AI Platform Across More Than 120 Drilling Rigs

Oil Rises as Uncertainty Clouds US-Iran Peace Talks

India’s ONGC to Allocate Half of New Oil Storage to Strategic Reserves

Subsea7 Lands ‘Sizeable’ Contract for Work Offshore Brunei

Subscribe for AOG Digital E‑News

AOG Digital E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

https://accounts.newwavemedia.com