Petrofac's Bribery Case Sentencing Hearing Delayed

OE Staff
Monday, September 27, 2021

Oilfield services firm Petrofac's bribery case sentencing hearing has been postponed for Friday.

As previously reported, Petrofac said Friday it would plead guilty to seven counts of failing to prevent former Petrofac group employees from offering or making payments to agents in relation to projects awarded between 2012 and 2015 in Iraq, Saudi Arabia, and the UAE.

The company has struck a plea agreement with the UK Serious Fraud Office (SFO).

A sentencing hearing was scheduled to take place at Southwark Crown Court starting on Monday, September 27, 2021, however this has now been delayed.

"Petrofac[...] announces that today’s sentencing hearing at Southwark Crown Court in relation to its plea agreement with the UK Serious Fraud Office (SFO) has been delayed due to Court scheduling and has been re-scheduled to commence on Friday, 1 October. The Company will make a further announcement following sentencing or any adjournment," Petrofac said.

The oilfield services firm said Friday that any penalty would be determined at the sole discretion of the Court. 

"It may take into account submissions by the company as to its ability to pay, along with the SFO's recognition that Petrofac is a changed company with transformed leadership, personnel, compliance and assurance processes," Petrofac said.

Shadow of the past

Petrofac Chairman René Medori said Friday: "This was a deeply regrettable period of Petrofac's history. We are committed to ensuring it will never happen again.  We have fundamentally overhauled our compliance regime, as well as the people, and the culture that supports it. Our comprehensive program of corporate renewal has been acknowledged by the SFO. Petrofac has been living under the shadow of the past, but today it is a profoundly different business, in which stakeholders can be assured of our commitment to the highest standards of business ethics, wherever we operate."

Petrofac CEO Sami Iskander said Friday: "With my new management team we are rebuilding the company into a new Petrofac that's relevant for the future, across both traditional and new energies, built on a foundation of the highest ethical standards."

Earlier this year, former senior Petrofac Ltd executive David Lufkin pleaded guilty to three further bribery offenses in relation to oil deals in the United Arab Emirates (UAE). These charges were in addition to 11 charges of bribery already brought by the SFO, to which Lufkin pleaded guilty in February 2019.

The SFO said that the offenses related to corrupt offers and payments made to agents by Lufkin between 2012 and 2018 to influence the award of contracts to Petrofac in the United Arab Emirates worth approximately $3.3 billion.

"Total payments of approximately $30 million were made, or were due to be made, by Petrofac to those agents in connection with these contracts," the SFO said.

Abu Dhabi-based oil and gas giant ADNOC in March suspended Petrofac from competing for new ADNOC contracts "until further notice," over a bribery case related to contracts awarded in 2013 and 2014.

Categories: Energy Middle East Industry News Activity

Related Stories

Petronas Takes Operatorship of Oman’s Offshore Block 18

Mubadala Hires SLB for Deepwater Drilling Services Offshore Indonesia

Seatrium Unit Launches Arbitration Against Petrobras over FPSO Contract

Transocean-Valaris Tie-Up to Create $17B Offshore Drilling Major with 73 Rigs

EnQuest Secures Extension for Vietnam's Offshore Block

Japan's Mitsui in Advanced Talks for Stake in Qatar’s North Field LNG Project

Petronas Plans Ramp-Up in Exploration, Production Over Three Years

Australia and Timor-Leste Push to Advance Greater Sunrise Gas Field

MODEC, Eld Energy Partnership Targets Low-Carbon FPSO Power

Major Oil and Gas Projects Drive Strong OSV Demand in the Middle East

Current News

MISC Secures Long-Term Charter for Papua New Guinea's First FSO

Dolphin Drilling, Vantris Ink Marketing Deal for Blackford Dolphin Semi-Sub

Saipem Agrees $272M Deal to Acquire Deep Value Driller Drillship

DUG Hooks Multi-Client Seismic Reprocessing Survey off Malaysia

MISC, PTSC Extend Ruby II FPSO Operations Offshore Vietnam

Petronas Takes Operatorship of Oman’s Offshore Block 18

Mubadala Hires SLB for Deepwater Drilling Services Offshore Indonesia

Malaysia Offers Nine Exploration Blocks in 2026 Bid Round

Seatrium Unit Launches Arbitration Against Petrobras over FPSO Contract

Transocean-Valaris Tie-Up to Create $17B Offshore Drilling Major with 73 Rigs

Subscribe for AOG Digital E‑News

AOG Digital E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

https://accounts.newwavemedia.com