Petronas Posts 3Q Loss. Warns of Tough 4Q

Mei Mei Chu
Friday, November 27, 2020

Malaysian state-owned energy giant Petronas warned on Friday that the remainder of the year would remain tough due to prolonged low oil prices and moderate demand recovery hampered by the coronavirus, as it recorded a third-quarter loss.

"Amid the fluid operating environment brought about by the pandemic as well as prolonged volatility of oil prices, Petronas is adopting a cautious outlook and anticipates that the remainder of 2020 will be challenging," said Tengku Muhammad Taufik, president and group chief executive officer.

"We expect our performance to be continuously affected by the volatility of oil prices aggravated by the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic," he said in a statement.

Petronas, or Petroliam Nasional Berhad, said it would continue to uphold "disciplined capital and operational spending" and preserve liquidity to ensure business sustainability.

The world's fourth-biggest LNG exporter said its Pengerang Integrated Complex (PIC) will be operational by early next year, with the Atmospheric Residue Desulphurisation Train 1 and Train 2 expected to be ready-for-start-up (RFSU) by the beginning of 2021.

The Diesel Hydro Treating unit is expected to be RFSU in the fourth quarter of 2021, while the restart-up of the Refinery and Petrochemical plants is planned for the first quarter, the firm said.

Petronas reported a post-tax loss of 3.4 billion ringgit ($835.8 million) for the July to September period, against 7.4 billion ringgit in the same quarter last year.

Its second straight quarterly loss was attributed to a higher impairment loss on assets and higher tax expenses as a result of the lower oil and gas price outlook.

Revenue fell 25% to 41.1 billion ringgit.

 ($1 = 4.0680 ringgit)

(Reporting by Mei Mei Chu; Editing by David Goodman)

Categories: Finance Asia

Related Stories

DUG Hooks Multi-Client Seismic Reprocessing Survey off Malaysia

Petronas Takes Operatorship of Oman’s Offshore Block 18

Malaysia Oil and Gas Projects Advance with Petronas' PSC and Farm-Out Deals

Vantage Drilling’s Ultra-Deepwater Drillship Heads to India Under $260M Contract

EnQuest Secures Extension for Vietnam's Offshore Block

Japan's Mitsui in Advanced Talks for Stake in Qatar’s North Field LNG Project

Chevron in Final Talks with Eneos, Glencore on Singapore Assets Sale

Philippines Makes First Offshore Gas Discovery in Over a Decade

Fugro, PTSC G&S Extend Partnership for Vietnam's Offshore Wind Push

Murphy Oil Appraisal Well Boosts Resource Outlook at Field off Vietnam

Current News

DUG Hooks Multi-Client Seismic Reprocessing Survey off Malaysia

MISC, PTSC Extend Ruby II FPSO Operations Offshore Vietnam

Petronas Takes Operatorship of Oman’s Offshore Block 18

Mubadala Hires SLB for Deepwater Drilling Services Offshore Indonesia

Malaysia Offers Nine Exploration Blocks in 2026 Bid Round

Seatrium Unit Launches Arbitration Against Petrobras over FPSO Contract

Transocean-Valaris Tie-Up to Create $17B Offshore Drilling Major with 73 Rigs

Malaysia Oil and Gas Projects Advance with Petronas' PSC and Farm-Out Deals

Vantage Drilling’s Ultra-Deepwater Drillship Heads to India Under $260M Contract

EnQuest Secures Extension for Vietnam's Offshore Block

Subscribe for AOG Digital E‑News

AOG Digital E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

https://accounts.newwavemedia.com