Awilco Drilling Posts $4,6M Loss. Eyes Funding Options for Newbuild Rig

Bartolomej Tomic
Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Oslo-listed offshore drilling contractor Awilco Drilling posted a loss of $4,6 million in the second quarter of 2020, on contract revenue of $6,1 million.

The offshore drilling company currently has two drilling rigs, of which one rig in operation - the semi-submersible drilling rig WilPhoenix. The rig, built in 1982, has recently started P&A work for Petrofac in the UK North Sea

The company's other rig, the 1983-built semi-sub WilHunter, has been cold-stacked since 2016.

To remind, in the first quarter of 2020, Awilco's revenue, and contract utilization were 'nil.' 

Awilco's contract backlog at the end of Q2 was approximately USD 19.4 million, with the WilPhoenix scheduled to drill for Serica Energy in the UK North Sea in September.

Keppel case

As previously reported, Awilco had in June terminated a newbuild rig order with Keppel for Nordic Winter rig ordered in 2018, citing Keppel’s alleged breach of contract, and seeking a full refund of paid installments of $54,7 million.

The company terminated the contract just days ahead of its next installment of $31.9 million for the rig was due.

Following Awilco’s action, and subsequent non-payment of the $31.9 million installment, Keppel refused the drilling contractor’s allegations, said Awilco was in default, terminated the contract itself, and started arbitration proceedings. The rig was scheduled for delivery in April 2021.

Awilco in turn said it didn't accept Keppel FELS’ grounds for termination. The arbitration process is currently ongoing on this matter.

As for Awilco's second rig on order with Keppel, the Nordic Spring, the rig is scheduled for delivery in March 2022. Awilco's remaining capital commitments at the end of the second quarter in respect of the rig were $382.3 million. The next installment for the rig of $42 million to be paid by Awilco is scheduled for March 2021.

Awilco's cash balance at the end of the second quarter was $16.7 million, and the company is looking at ways to secure funding to pay for the newbuild unit.

"Funding for the second installment and the remaining balance at delivery will be required, by a combination of additional equity and debt. There is also the option to defer the delivery of the rig, and the related payment, by up to one year. This decision will be taken at a later date," Awilco said.

Categories: Drilling Activity Rigs

Related Stories

Woodside to Shed Some Trinidad and Tobago Assets for $206M

Woodside Inks Long-Term LNG Supply Deal with China Resources

Valeura Wraps Up Infill Drilling Campaign in Gulf of Thailand

Sapura Energy Nets $720M from Multiple Drilling Services Contracts

Shell Predicts 60% Rise in LNG Demand by 2040 with Asia Leading the Way

Initial Drilling Results Raise Questions on South Korea’s Offshore Gas Viability

US Operator Finds Oil Offshore Vietnam

Saipem’s Castorone Vessel on Its Way to Türkiye’s Largest Gas Field

Flare Gas Recovery Meets the Future

Sunda Energy Closing in on Jack-Up Deal for Chuditch-2 Appraisal Well

Current News

INEOS Wraps Up Acquisition of CNOOC’s US Oil and Gas Assets

Fire at Petronas Gas Pipeline in Malaysia Sends 63 to Hospital

Japan’s ENEOS Xplora, PVEP Ink Deal for Vietnam Offshore Block

CNOOC Makes Major Oil and Gas Discovery in South China Sea

Valeura’s Assets in Gulf of Thailand Remain Operational After Earthquake

Op-Ed: Kazakhstan’s National O&G Firm Positioning Itself as Global Energy Player

Woodside to Shed Some Trinidad and Tobago Assets for $206M

CNOOC Sees 11% Profit Growth in 2024 Driven by Record Oil Production

‘Ultra-Mega’ Offshore Deal for L&T at QatarEnergy LNG’s North Field Gas Scheme

Keel Laying for Wind Flyer Trimaran Crew Boat

Subscribe for AOG Digital E‑News

AOG Digital E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

https://accounts.newwavemedia.com