Malaysia Calls for Peaceful End to South China Sea Standoff

Rozanna Latiff
Thursday, April 23, 2020

Malaysia called on Thursday for disputes over the South China Sea to be resolved by peaceful means, amid a standoff between Chinese and Malaysian vessels that a U.S. think tank said had been going on for months.

U.S. and Australian warships arrived in the South China Sea this week near an area where a Chinese government survey vessel, the Haiyang Dizhi 8, has been operating close to a drillship under contract to Malaysian state oil company Petronas, regional security sources have said.

The standoff was the latest development in a series of targeted harassments by Chinese vessels of drilling operations in five oil blocks off the Malaysian coast in the past year, said Greg Poling, director of the Washington-based Asia Maritime Transparency Initiative (AMTI).

Since December, Chinese forces have been harassing supply ships servicing the West Capella, an oil exploration vessel operated by Petronas, Poling said.

Last week, the Haiyang Dizhi 8, accompanied by a Chinese Coast Guard (CCG) vessel, entered Malaysia's exclusive economic zone (EEZ) and began a survey close to where the West Capella was operating.

On Thursday, the Haiyang Dizhi 8 was still within Malaysia's EEZ, about 337 kilometers (209.4 miles) off Borneo, data from ship tracking website Marine Traffic Showed.

Three U.S. warships and an Australian frigate conducted a joint exercise in the South China Sea this week, near the site of the West Capella's operations, officials and security sources have said.

China has denied reports of a standoff, saying the Haiyang Dizhi 8 was carrying out normal activities.

Malaysia said on Thursday it remained committed to safeguarding its interests in the South China Sea.

"While international law guarantees the freedom of navigation, the presence of warships and vessels in the South China Sea has the potential to increase tensions that in turn may result in miscalculations which may affect peace, security, and stability in the region," Foreign Minister Hishammuddin Hussein said in his first official remarks on the standoff.

Hishammuddin said Malaysia maintained "open and continuous communication" with all relevant parties, including China and the United States.

Petronas did not respond to requests for comment.

Separately, Taiwan's Defence Ministry said that a Chinese aircraft carrier group lead by China's first aircraft carrier, the Liaoning, had ended a mission in the South China Sea on Wednesday and was now heading east through the Bashi Channel, which separates Taiwan from the Philippines.

The carrier group earlier this month sailed down Taiwan's east coast. China said at the time it was on its way to routine exercises in the South China Sea. 

(Reporting by Rozanna Latiff; Additional reporting by Ben Blanchard and Yimou Lee in Taipei; Editing by Raju Gopalakrishnan)

Categories: Offshore Vessels Geoscience Engineering Industry News Activity China Malaysia South China Sea

Related Stories

Mermaid Maritime Expands Into US Offshore Market

Oil Rises as Uncertainty Clouds US-Iran Peace Talks

Oil Rises 2% as Middle East Hostilities Escalate

Oil Jumps 3% on Renewed US-Iran Conflict

ADNOC, XRG and Mitsui Broaden Energy Cooperation

MODEC Advances Construction of Brazil-Bound Gato do Mato FPSO

TGS Gets Exclusive Rights for Seismic Survey Offshore Brunei

Markets: Oil Majors Reload Exploration Hoppers Across Sub-Saharan Africa

ASCO Sets Up Shop in Qatar to Drive Middle East Expansion

JERA Takes Delivery of First LNG Cargo from Australia's Barossa Gas Project

Current News

ConocoPhillips, CNOOC Put Penglai Field off China Into Full Operation

Mermaid Maritime Expands Into US Offshore Market

ONGC Nears Venezuela Operatorship Deals, Regains Russia’s Sakhalin-1 Stake

Fugro Secures India Deepwater Drilling ROV Contract

Vantris Energy Secures Petronas’ Offshore Drilling Work Orders

ADNOC, SLB Roll Out AI Platform Across More Than 120 Drilling Rigs

Oil Rises as Uncertainty Clouds US-Iran Peace Talks

India’s ONGC to Allocate Half of New Oil Storage to Strategic Reserves

Subsea7 Lands ‘Sizeable’ Contract for Work Offshore Brunei

FPSO for Azule Energy’s Angola Offshore Field Starts Taking Shape in China

Subscribe for AOG Digital E‑News

AOG Digital E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

https://accounts.newwavemedia.com