Mexico President Seeks Answers for Pemex Losses

Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Mexico's president said on Tuesday his government would push for an investigation into the hundreds of millions of dollars squandered by state oil company Pemex after its purchase of two struggling fertilizer plants during the previous administration.

A report by the Federal Audit Office last week said that Pemex burned through $665 million at its fertilizer unit in 2017 after purchasing the plants in 2013 and 2016 that became a major burden for the cash-strapped firm.

Pemex is highly indebted and last month suffered a downgrade to its credit rating, which triggered concern at the central bank and has put pressure on the peso currency.

Both plants had once belonged to Pemex before being privatized in the 1990s by the Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI), which long dominated Mexican politics and handed over power to Lopez Obrador in December.

The first plant, ProAgro, was not operational when Pemex bought it back for $475 million. In spite of three attempts to revive it, the facility was still not up and running this year, according to the report by the audit office. The second plant, Fertinal, operated well below capacity, the report said.

President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador, who handed the PRI a crushing defeat in last July's presidential election, told his regular morning news conference the plants had been turned into "junk" and that his government had an obligation to act.

"In all these cases we're going to present complaints so that we're not accomplices," Lopez Obrador said after being asked about several cases of public money being wasted.

He said it would be up to the attorney general's office to investigate the complaint.

Lopez Obrador has pledged to revive Pemex and he told the news conference his government would weed out employees who were "not helping" there and in other parts of the public sector.


Reporting by Frank Jack Daniel

Categories: Legal Finance Government Update

Related Stories

Subsea7 Secures Work at Black Sea Field off Türkiye

CIP, Petrovietnam Team Up for Offshore Wind Project in Vietnam

EnQuest Enters Indonesia with Operatorship PSCs for Two Exploration Blocks

Shipbuilder Delivers Fast Crew Boat Pair to Aesen

Shelf Drilling Lands New Jack-Up Contract in Vietnam, Extends Egypt Deal

Inpex Picks FEED Contractors for Abadi LNG Onshore Plant

Sapura Energy Rebrands to Vantris Energy

PTTEP Buys Chevron's Hess Unit Share of Southeast Asia’s Offshore Block for $450M

Valeura Energy, PTTEP Partner Up on Gulf of Thailand Blocks

China Rolls Out 17MW Floating Wind Turbine Prototype

Current News

Technip Energies Gets FEED Job for Inpex’ Abadi LNG Project in Indonesia

Keppel, Seatrium in $53M Arbitration Case Over Brazil Corruption Scheme

Subsea7 Secures Work at Black Sea Field off Türkiye

CIP, Petrovietnam Team Up for Offshore Wind Project in Vietnam

Seatrium Signs FLNG Vessel Upgrade Deal for Golar LNG

EnQuest Enters Indonesia with Operatorship PSCs for Two Exploration Blocks

PXGEO Nets First Seismic Survey off Malaysia

SPE Offshore Europe 2025 set to drive transformational change for the energy sector

Shipbuilder Delivers Fast Crew Boat Pair to Aesen

Norwegian Oil Investment Will Peak in '25

Subscribe for AOG Digital E‑News

AOG Digital E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

https://accounts.newwavemedia.com