Equinor Stops Drilling Arctic Well After Incident

By Nerijus Adomaitis
Monday, January 21, 2019

Norway's Equinor has put on hold the drilling of a key exploration well in the Barents Sea after a well incident last week, the company said on Monday.

The incident occurred when Seadrill's rig West Hercules was drilling the Gjoekaasen well offshore Norway .

The so-called "high-risk, high-impact" well could hold between 26 million and 1.4 billion barrels of oil equivalents, one of Equinor's partners, Aker BP, said last week.

Other partners include Sweden's Lundin Petroleum and Norwegian state-owned oil company Petoro.

During the incident the lower mariner riser package (LMRP) on the blowout preventer was unintentionally disconnected for still unknown reasons.

No personal injuries or harm to the environment occurred during the incident, in which a device used to protect a subsea well and prevent blowouts was disconnected, the Norwegian Petroleum Safety Authority (PSA) said in a statement.

"Operations are stopped until we know the cause of the disconnect. Rig owner Seadrill has initiated an investigation into the incident, where Equinor participates," a spokesman for the oil company said in a statement to Reuters.

Seadrill was not immediately available to comment.

The PSA said it would investigate the incident.


(Reporting by Nerijus Adomaitis, editing by Gwladys Fouche and Louise Heavens)

Categories: Offshore Energy Drilling Exploration Safety & Security Activity Arctic

Related Stories

Saipem Agrees $272M Deal to Acquire Deep Value Driller Drillship

DUG Hooks Multi-Client Seismic Reprocessing Survey off Malaysia

Petronas Takes Operatorship of Oman’s Offshore Block 18

Vantage Drilling’s Ultra-Deepwater Drillship Heads to India Under $260M Contract

Eni Enlists Shearwater for 3D Seismic Survey in Timor Sea

PV Drilling’s Jack-Up Rig Returns to Asia Ahead of April Drilling Ops

Fugro Nets Mubadala Energy’s Deepwater Gas Job in Asia

Blackford Dolphin Semi-Sub to Keep Drilling Offshore India

Major Oil and Gas Projects Drive Strong OSV Demand in the Middle East

Pharos Energy Kicks Off Drilling Campaign Offshore Vietnam

Current News

MISC Secures Long-Term Charter for Papua New Guinea's First FSO

Dolphin Drilling, Vantris Ink Marketing Deal for Blackford Dolphin Semi-Sub

Saipem Agrees $272M Deal to Acquire Deep Value Driller Drillship

DUG Hooks Multi-Client Seismic Reprocessing Survey off Malaysia

MISC, PTSC Extend Ruby II FPSO Operations Offshore Vietnam

Petronas Takes Operatorship of Oman’s Offshore Block 18

Mubadala Hires SLB for Deepwater Drilling Services Offshore Indonesia

Malaysia Offers Nine Exploration Blocks in 2026 Bid Round

Seatrium Unit Launches Arbitration Against Petrobras over FPSO Contract

Transocean-Valaris Tie-Up to Create $17B Offshore Drilling Major with 73 Rigs

Subscribe for AOG Digital E‑News

AOG Digital E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

https://accounts.newwavemedia.com