ExxonMobil Drops USD 25 bln Canadian LNG Project

Laxman Pai
Thursday, December 20, 2018

U.S. oil major Exxon Mobil Corp. has withdrawn its environmental assessment application for a $25-billion LNG export facility on the B.C. coast it proposed in 2015. No reasons given for withdrawing from environmental review process.

“After careful review, ExxonMobil Canada and Imperial Oil Resources have withdrawn the WCC LNG project from the B.C. Environmental Assessment process,” a notice on WCC LNG website says. It also says that its websie will only be available until the end of 2018.

WCC LNG is a proposed project to develop and operate a liquefied natural gas (LNG) export facility at Tuck Inlet in Prince Rupert, British Columbia.

According to a Reuters report, the decision to pare its LNG project portfolio follows the go-ahead of a giant Royal Dutch Shell-led project in British Columbia, and Exxon’s focus on LNG projects in Asia, the Middle East and the United States.

The apparent shelving of the project is a blow to the West Coast liquefied natural gas export industry which at one time featured about 20 proposals, but has resulted in only one firm commitment to build, said Canadaian Press.

The project had been proposed by Exxon and its Canadian partner, Imperial Oil Ltd., for Tuck Inlet in the Prince Rupert area on B.C.’s north coast.

According to the project website, it was planned to have an initial capacity of up to 15 million metric tonnes of LNG per year for shipment to international markets, with the potential to expand to approximately 30 million tonnes per year.

Global LNG demand is expected to double to 550 million tonnes per annum (mtpa) by 2030, as countries like China move away from coal to cleaner fuels. The top import market for LNG is northeast Asia.

Categories: Environmental Energy LNG Government Update Production Regulation

Related Stories

Eni Inks Long-Term Indonesia LNG Supply Agreements

BP Adds Three Exploration Blocks off Indonesia

Norway O&G Revenue Forecast Jumps 30% for '26

Eni Advances Giant Indonesia Gas Discovery after ‘Exceptional’ Well Test

Strike Threat Grows at Ichthys LNG after Workers Reject Deal

Glencore, Taiwan’s CPC Charter Tankers as Hormuz Reopens

Fire at ONGC's Offshore Platform Injures 10, Operations Normalized

Iran War Reshapes Global LNG Trade

Drone Strike on Kuwaiti Oil Tanker off Dubai Signals Further Escalation in Gulf

INPEX Extends Pertamina LNG Pact, Signs Upstream MoU in Southeast Asia

Current News

Eni Inks Long-Term Indonesia LNG Supply Agreements

Indonesia Locks In LNG Supplies from Inpex' Abadi and Eni’s South Hub

Wood Secures Subsea Design Scope on QatarEnergy’s Bul Hanine Redevelopment

Oil Prices Rise as Iran Talks Stall and Inventories Shrink

Indonesia Puts 13 Oil And Gas Blocks on Bidding Round Offer

BP Adds Three Exploration Blocks off Indonesia

Indonesia Signs Eight Oil and Gas Contracts

Inpex Inks Abadi LNG Gas Supply Deal With Indonesian State Firms

Energean Cuts 2026 Output Forecast After Israel Shutdown

Wison Starts Topsides Fabrication for Türkiye’s Sakarya Deepwater FPU

Subscribe for AOG Digital E‑News

AOG Digital E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

https://accounts.newwavemedia.com