CEFC Paid Out Compensation After Rosneft Stake Deal Fell Through

By Polina Nikolskaya
Monday, November 19, 2018

CEFC paid almost 225 million euros ($257 million) in compensation to a consortium of Qatar Investment Authority and Glencore after the Chinese firm's deal to buy a stake in Russian oil firm Rosneft fell through, a document showed.

The chief executive of Rosneft, Igor Sechin, said in September 2017 that CEFC had signed a deal to buy 14.2 percent of Rosneft from Qatar and Glencore.

The deal was not completed and the circumstances under which it fell through remain unclear.

Sources close to the matter said in March that CEFC had started paying when the CEFC Chairman Ye Jianming was put under investigation by the Chinese authorities for suspected economic crimes. The sources did not say how much was paid.

A financial report, released by QHG Holding and seen by Reuters on Monday, has revealed some details of the deal.

QHG Holding, one of three British-registered companies created by Glencore and QIA for their deal to buy 19.5 percent stake in Rosneft in December 2016, was paid 224.82 million euros by CEFC between December 2016 and May 2018, the report showed.

The report, which recorded the compensation as a non-dividend income, said the CEFC payment was "a result of a terminated planned disposal of the group's shareholding in PJSC Rosneft Oil Company."

The payment was first reported by Russian newspaper Kommersant.

The value of the Rosneft stake CEFC was preparing to buy was 7.4 billion euros, according to a report filed by another of vehicle through which Qatar and Glencore controlled the stake.

After the collapse of the deal with CEFC, Qatar agreed to become the long-term owner of the stake.

In a Reuters published this month, nine sources familiar with the deal said the acquisition by Qatar had been financed by Russian state bank VTB.

VTB denied issuing a loan to QIA.

Rosneft's CEO also said VTB did not finance Qatar's acquisition.

QIA did not respond to a request for comment.

(Reporting by Polina Nikolskaya and Oksana Kobzeva Editing by Edmund Blair)

Categories: Finance Mergers & Acquisitions

Related Stories

Oil Prices Ease as US Holds Off Renewed Strikes Against Iran

Yinson Production, PTSC Raise Over $130M for Vietnam’s Block B FSO

Oil Climbs Above $110 After Gulf Drone Attacks Raise Supply Fears

Inpex Expands Australia Gas Portfolio with Browse Minority Stake Deal

UAE Speeds Up Pipeline Project to Help Bypass Hormuz

Global Oil Supply to Fall Short of Demand as Iran War Goes On, IEA Says

Oil Prices Edge Higher Amid Uncertainty Over Iran Deal

ADNOC Drilling Posts Record First-Quarter Results with 5% Revenue Rise

Eni Advances Giant Indonesia Gas Discovery after ‘Exceptional’ Well Test

Thailand Cancels Offshore Energy Exploration Pact with Cambodia

Current News

Wison Starts Topsides Fabrication for Türkiye’s Sakarya Deepwater FPU

Oil Prices Ease as US Holds Off Renewed Strikes Against Iran

Velesto Secures Malaysia Drilling Deal with Hibiscus

Yinson Production, PTSC Raise Over $130M for Vietnam’s Block B FSO

Oil Climbs Above $110 After Gulf Drone Attacks Raise Supply Fears

Global Businesses Face Mounting $25 Billion Fallout From Iran War

ScioSense Launches UFC23 Ultrasonic Flow Converter for High-Precision, Ultra-Low-Power Smart Metering

Inpex Expands Australia Gas Portfolio with Browse Minority Stake Deal

UAE Speeds Up Pipeline Project to Help Bypass Hormuz

PV Drilling Secures Jack-Up Rig Deal from Zarubezhneft off Vietnam

Subscribe for AOG Digital E‑News

AOG Digital E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

https://accounts.newwavemedia.com