Siemens Gamesa Reshuffles Top Management

Posted by Michelle Howard
Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Wind turbine maker Siemens Gamesa announced a reshuffle of its top management on Tuesday, part of a bid to advance an ambitious cost-saving plan after a year-long board battle over issues ranging from suppliers to leadership.

David Mesonero, currently managing director of corporate development, strategy and integration, will take over as chief financial officer, the company said, while current CFO Miguel Angel Lopez Borrego becomes non-executive chairman.

The company's main shareholders, Siemens and Iberdrola, agreed the changes on Tuesday.

The two have had a number of disagreements since the merger of Gamesa and Siemens Wind Power made Siemens the company's biggest shareholder last year.

"As we have finished the integration, now we need to step up and focus on the execution of what has been laid out by management in the 2020 programme," Michael Sen, a member of Siemens AG's managing board, told Reuters by telephone.

"I can tell you that we are happy... going to the next stage, which will be more focused on execution. At the end of the day, (the plan is) going in the right direction, it should be to the benefit of all shareholders."

The conflict between the two came to a head at the company's annual general meeting in April when several motions by Iberdrola, previously Gamesa's top shareholder, were dismissed.

Siemens hopes that the changes will smooth the relationship.

Mesonero, the son-in-law of Iberdrola's chairman, led the merger talks between Gamesa and Siemens Wind Power and has since been in charge of the integration of the two companies.

Gamesa also appointed Mark Albenze, chief executive of the service unit, as the new interim CEO of its onshore division, while incumbent Ricardo Chocarro will leave the company, it said.

Lower onshore activity was the main factor behind the company's lower operating profitability in the first half, it said earlier this year.

The company is targeting 2 billion euros ($2.3 billion) in cost cuts by 2020 to deal with fierce competition in the wind turbine sector as governments globally slash subsidies for renewable energy.

By Andrés González and Alexander Hübner

Categories: People & Company News Wind Power

Related Stories

Mermaid Maritime Expands Into US Offshore Market

Fugro Secures India Deepwater Drilling ROV Contract

Saipem Cuts Earnings Outlook as Middle East Costs Rise

BP Moves Indonesia CCUS Project Into Offshore Installation Phase

Chevron Enlists Velesto’s Jack-Up Rig for Drilling Job off Malaysia

Energean Lifts Karish Fields FPSO Oil Processing Capacity

Oil Rises on Dual Shipping Threat in Hormuz and Red Sea

Searah Malaysia Starts Upstream Oil and Gas Operations

Inpex Starts Construction of Indonesia's Abadi LNG Project

Hormuz Crossings Decline as US Renews Iran Blockade

Current News

ConocoPhillips, CNOOC Put Penglai Field off China Into Full Operation

Mermaid Maritime Expands Into US Offshore Market

ONGC Nears Venezuela Operatorship Deals, Regains Russia’s Sakhalin-1 Stake

Fugro Secures India Deepwater Drilling ROV Contract

Vantris Energy Secures Petronas’ Offshore Drilling Work Orders

ADNOC, SLB Roll Out AI Platform Across More Than 120 Drilling Rigs

Oil Rises as Uncertainty Clouds US-Iran Peace Talks

India’s ONGC to Allocate Half of New Oil Storage to Strategic Reserves

Subsea7 Lands ‘Sizeable’ Contract for Work Offshore Brunei

FPSO for Azule Energy’s Angola Offshore Field Starts Taking Shape in China

Subscribe for AOG Digital E‑News

AOG Digital E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

https://accounts.newwavemedia.com