ExxonMobil Resumes Production in Papua New Guinea

By Joseph R Fonseca
Friday, April 13, 2018

ExxonMobil said that production of liquefied natural gas (LNG) has safely resumed at the PNG LNG project in Papua New Guinea following a temporary shutdown of operations after a severe earthquake occurred in the region on Feb. 26. LNG exports are expected to resume soon.

One train is currently operating at the LNG plant near Port Moresby. The plant’s second train is expected to restart as production is increased over time.
During the period that production was shut-in, ExxonMobil was able to complete unrelated maintenance scheduled for later in the year to allow for more efficient operations in the months ahead.
“Resuming LNG production ahead of our projected eight-week timeframe is a significant achievement for ExxonMobil, our joint-venture partners and our customers,” said Neil W. Duffin, president of ExxonMobil Production Company. “We will continue to support those communities impacted by the earthquake as we work toward fully restoring our operations. We hope our contributions and assistance will provide comfort to those in need.”
ExxonMobil is supporting multiple local and international relief agencies involved in the humanitarian response to the earthquake.
In addition to the company’s previously announced $1 million contribution for humanitarian relief, ExxonMobil crews have donated and delivered more than 37 tons of food, 14 tons of drinking water, 600 tarpaulins used as emergency shelters, 1,000 solar lights for households, 20 larger solar lighting units for institutions, as well as other essential supplies including water purification tablets, cooking aids and hygiene kits.
The company is also assisting with the restoration of health care facilities and community food gardens, and is providing resources to help the government address the significant task of restoring roads in the Highlands region.
“While a lot of work remains to be done, we are confident that with the support of all our partners and stakeholders, we can help our friends and neighbors recover from this tragic natural disaster,” said Andrew Barry, managing director of ExxonMobil PNG.
Categories: Energy Offshore Energy People & Company News LNG

Related Stories

Eni Enlists Shearwater for 3D Seismic Survey in Timor Sea

Australia and Timor-Leste Push to Advance Greater Sunrise Gas Field

ADNOC Gas Signs $3B LNG Supply Deal with India’s HPCL

Petrovietnam Agrees First-Ever LNG Term Deal with Shell

Low Demand, High Supply Keeps Asia LNG Spot Prices Flat

Following Big Loss in 2025, Oil Steadies

Petronas, CNOOC Ink LNG Sale and Purchase Agreement

CNOOC Launches New Offshore Oil Development in Southern China

Fugro Nets Mubadala Energy’s Deepwater Gas Job in Asia

Sponsored: Record Deals and Record Attendance Underscore ADIPEC’s Global Impact

Current News

MISC Secures Long-Term Charter for Papua New Guinea's First FSO

Dolphin Drilling, Vantris Ink Marketing Deal for Blackford Dolphin Semi-Sub

Saipem Agrees $272M Deal to Acquire Deep Value Driller Drillship

DUG Hooks Multi-Client Seismic Reprocessing Survey off Malaysia

MISC, PTSC Extend Ruby II FPSO Operations Offshore Vietnam

Petronas Takes Operatorship of Oman’s Offshore Block 18

Mubadala Hires SLB for Deepwater Drilling Services Offshore Indonesia

Malaysia Offers Nine Exploration Blocks in 2026 Bid Round

Seatrium Unit Launches Arbitration Against Petrobras over FPSO Contract

Transocean-Valaris Tie-Up to Create $17B Offshore Drilling Major with 73 Rigs

Subscribe for AOG Digital E‑News

AOG Digital E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

https://accounts.newwavemedia.com