Philippines Eyes Exploration Deal with China in S.China Sea

Posted by Joseph Keefe
Monday, April 9, 2018
The Philippines is looking to seal a pact with China within a few months to jointly explore for oil and gas in a part of the busy South China Sea waterway claimed by both countries, a Philippine official said on Monday.
In February, the two countries agreed to set up a special panel to work out how to jointly explore for offshore oil and gas in areas both sides claim, without needing to address the touchy issue of sovereignty.
"We're trying to see if we can achieve an agreement, hopefully within the next couple of months," Jose Santiago Santa Romana, Philippine ambassador to the People's Republic of China, told a news conference held on China's island province of Hainan.
There is political willingness to land a deal, but both parties could take as much time as needed to ensure the goals are met, Santa Romana said at the event, aired live on Facebook, adding that the Philippines aimed to boost its energy security.
Beijing claims most of the South China Sea, a key trade route with areas believed to hold large quantities of oil and natural gas. Parts of it are subject to competing claims from Brunei, Malaysia, Taiwan and Vietnam, besides the Philippines.
Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday flew to China for the Boao Forum for Asia, and will meet Chinese President Xi Jinping on Tuesday.
Last month, the Philippines identified two areas in the South China Sea where joint exploration for oil and gas may be undertaken with China.
But any potential deals between Manila and Beijing should be agreed with a company and not the Chinese government, the presidential spokesman said.
The idea of joint development dates from 1986, but disputes and the sovereignty issue have kept it from materialising.
In 2016, the Permanent Court of Arbitration in the Hague ruled that portions of the contested areas were part of the Philippines' 200 nautical mile Exclusive Economic Zone, and Manila had sovereign rights to resources there. China refuses to recognise the ruling.

Reporting by Neil Jerome Morales 

Categories: Contracts Legal Maritime Security Maritime Safety Government Update Offshore Energy

Related Stories

Op-Ed: Kazakhstan’s National O&G Firm Positioning Itself as Global Energy Player

ORE Catapult and Japan’s FLOWRA to Jointly Advance Floating Wind

Eco Wave Finds Partner for Wave Energy Project in India

Saipem’s Castorone Vessel on Its Way to Türkiye’s Largest Gas Field

Flare Gas Recovery Meets the Future

Offshore Service Vessels: What’s in Store in 2025

Floating LNG Conversion Job Slips Out of Seatrium’s Hands

TotalEnergies Wraps Up Acquisition of SapuraOMV’s Gas Assets

Kuwaiti Oil and Gas Firm Exploring More Opportunities in Indonesia's Natuna Sea

OPEC+ Passes on Oil Output Increase, Weighs the "Trump Effect"

Current News

Eneos Scoops Jack-Up Drilling Contract Offshore Vietnam

Vietnam to Open Bidding Round for Three Offshore Oil Blocks

VARD Snags $125M Shipbuilding Deal for Subsea Construction Vessel

Mitsui’s STATS Lands Malaysian Pipeline Isolation Job

INEOS Wraps Up Acquisition of CNOOC’s US Oil and Gas Assets

Fire at Petronas Gas Pipeline in Malaysia Sends 63 to Hospital

Japan’s ENEOS Xplora, PVEP Ink Deal for Vietnam Offshore Block

CNOOC Makes Major Oil and Gas Discovery in South China Sea

Valeura’s Assets in Gulf of Thailand Remain Operational After Earthquake

Op-Ed: Kazakhstan’s National O&G Firm Positioning Itself as Global Energy Player

Subscribe for AOG Digital E‑News

AOG Digital E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

https://accounts.newwavemedia.com