Exxon Assessing Earthquake Damage to New Guinea NatGas Plant

Posted by Joseph Keefe
Wednesday, March 21, 2018
LNG export project knocked out by major quake in late Feb.
A senior Exxon Mobil Corp executive said on Wednesday the company is still assessing damage to its natural gas processing plant in the mountains of Papua New Guinea, knocked out by a strong earthquake last month.
A powerful 7.5 magnitude quake struck near Exxon's Hides facility on Feb. 25, killing dozens of people and halting production at the site. The temblor damaged power infrastructure and also led to the closure of the Komo jungle airfield, making access to the remote facility difficult.
Several aftershocks, as well as the remoteness of the gas field and processing plant - more than 700 kilometres from the export facility near the capital, Port Moresby - have made it difficult to assess and repair any damage, making it unclear when production and exports can resume.
"We're doing a full assessment right now...We had a few aftershocks so you have to go through the assessments again up in the mountains to recheck the facilities," said Neil Duffin, President of ExxonMobil's production company, speaking during an oil and gas industry event in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Prior to the shutdown, Exxon's Papua New Guinea Liquefied Natural Gas (PNG LNG) export project, had been producing at about 20 percent above its nominal capacity of 6.9 million tonnes a year.
Exxon has previously said it plans to restart shipments within eight weeks of the shutdown.
"I'm hoping we can actually start flowing gas within that two-month period," Duffin said.
Led by Exxon, with a one-third stake, and its Australian partners Oil Search and Santos, PNG LNG is the impoverished country's biggest revenue generator, bringing in around $3 billion in sales per year at current LNG prices . But the facility has also faced local criticism due to accident, as well as claims it did not spread wealth locally.
Exxon said in February it plans to almost double the facility's export capacity to 16 million tonnes per year, together with its partners.

The partners in Papua New Guinea are racing to start producing from new trains by around 2023 or 2024, when the LNG market is expected to need new supply due to rapidly growing demand in Asia and a lack of other new projects.

Reporting by Florence Tan 

Categories: Casualties Finance LNG Logistics Tankers

Related Stories

ADNOC, SLB Roll Out AI Platform Across More Than 120 Drilling Rigs

Oil Rises as Uncertainty Clouds US-Iran Peace Talks

FPSO for Azule Energy’s Angola Offshore Field Starts Taking Shape in China

Keppel Launches $2.9B Program to Monetize Legacy Offshore Drilling Rigs

Saipem Cuts Earnings Outlook as Middle East Costs Rise

BP Moves Indonesia CCUS Project Into Offshore Installation Phase

Chevron Enlists Velesto’s Jack-Up Rig for Drilling Job off Malaysia

Inpex Starts Construction of Indonesia's Abadi LNG Project

Ruwais LNG Commitments Top 90% Capacity with New INPEX Deal

Explosion at Qatar's Ras Laffan LNG Hub Injures 54, Leaves 18 Missing

Current News

TenneT Completes Drilling, Installation of Protective Conduits for Wind Farms

ConocoPhillips, CNOOC Put Penglai Field off China Into Full Operation

Mermaid Maritime Expands Into US Offshore Market

ONGC Nears Venezuela Operatorship Deals, Regains Russia’s Sakhalin-1 Stake

Fugro Secures India Deepwater Drilling ROV Contract

Vantris Energy Secures Petronas’ Offshore Drilling Work Orders

ADNOC, SLB Roll Out AI Platform Across More Than 120 Drilling Rigs

Oil Rises as Uncertainty Clouds US-Iran Peace Talks

India’s ONGC to Allocate Half of New Oil Storage to Strategic Reserves

Subsea7 Lands ‘Sizeable’ Contract for Work Offshore Brunei

Subscribe for AOG Digital E‑News

AOG Digital E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

https://accounts.newwavemedia.com