One year On, OPEC Closer to Target Production Cuts

Posted by Joseph Keefe
Tuesday, February 20, 2018
OPEC is closing in on its goal of reducing oil inventories held by industrialised nations to their five-year average, the original target of a supply-cutting pact with Russia and others, figures from the group's head of research showed on Tuesday.
Oil stocks in developed OECD economies, which were 340 million barrels above the five-year average in January 2017, were just 74 million barrels above that level last month, Ayed Al Qahtani, OPEC's head of research, told a conference.
The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries is reducing output by about 1.2 million barrels per day as part of its deal with Russia and other non-OPEC producers. The pact began in January 2017 and will run until the end of 2018.
A strong level of adherence by producers to their pledged cuts helped to erode the surplus. OPEC said their compliance in January was 133 percent, meaning they were cutting more than pledged and a figure which Al Qahtani said was a record high.
"This conformity level has been very successful in withdrawing the overhang," Al Qahtani told the Energy Institute's IP Week, an annual conference of the oil trading industry in London.
The stated goal of the supply-cutting deal was to reduce oil inventories to the five-year average. The surplus of 74 million barrels is the smallest yet reported since the cuts began.
But OPEC officials are increasingly talking of looking at different metrics.
The level of the latest five-year average may be higher than it was a year ago, even though the size of the surplus against that average is coming down, an OPEC source said. That means the figures give a more mixed picture for OPEC.
Saudi Arabia's Energy Minister Khalid al-Falih said last week that OPEC and its allies would need to consider how to adjust targets and should take into account non-OECD inventories, floating storage and oil in transit.

United Arab Emirates Energy Minister Suhail al-Mazroui, the current OPEC president, also mentioned the possibility of looking at other metrics at a news conference in London earlier on Tuesday.

By Alex Lawler
Categories: Contracts Energy Finance History Logistics Middle East

Related Stories

Yinson Production, PTSC Raise Over $130M for Vietnam’s Block B FSO

QatarEnergy, TotalEnergies and ConocoPhillips Team Up on Syria Offshore Block

ADNOC Drilling Posts Record First-Quarter Results with 5% Revenue Rise

CNOOC’s First Quarter Profit Rises on Higher Oil Prices, Output

US-Israel War on Iran Creates Biggest Energy Crisis in History

Saipem Bags $400M in Offshore Contracts from Aramco in Saudi Arabia

IEA Cuts Oil Demand, Supply Outlook Amid Iran War

Iran-Linked Tankers Sail Through Hormuz Before US Blockade

Hormuz Crisis Signals New Era of Risk for Gulf Energy

Middle East Producers Gear Up for Hormuz Export Restart

Current News

Energean Cuts 2026 Output Forecast After Israel Shutdown

Wison Starts Topsides Fabrication for Türkiye’s Sakarya Deepwater FPU

Oil Prices Ease as US Holds Off Renewed Strikes Against Iran

Velesto Secures Malaysia Drilling Deal with Hibiscus

Yinson Production, PTSC Raise Over $130M for Vietnam’s Block B FSO

Oil Climbs Above $110 After Gulf Drone Attacks Raise Supply Fears

Global Businesses Face Mounting $25 Billion Fallout From Iran War

ScioSense Launches UFC23 Ultrasonic Flow Converter for High-Precision, Ultra-Low-Power Smart Metering

Inpex Expands Australia Gas Portfolio with Browse Minority Stake Deal

UAE Speeds Up Pipeline Project to Help Bypass Hormuz

Subscribe for AOG Digital E‑News

AOG Digital E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

https://accounts.newwavemedia.com